Events Plugin šŸ“†

Thanks Angus - sounds like youā€™ve made some comprehensive changes. Iā€™ve upgraded and notified the user that was seeing this issue. Iā€™ll let you know if itā€™s resolved.

Cheers! :+1:

3 Likes

Good job that man

4 Likes

Can the time in the calendar be showed as 24-hour? If just one timeļ¼Œit can show more event info

if 2 times of the same dayļ¼ŒCan the end time be showed in the calendar just like the google calendarļ¼Ÿ
I think it will be more clear. The effect as blow:
test2

1 Like

@angus In general, last month and next monthā€™s figures do not show or have a lighter color.

And I donā€™t know how to set up a week from Sunday :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@tran Thanks for the specific feedback! Iā€™ll take a closer look today or tomorrow.

For this one, the start of the week is set according to the moment.js locale (see here) for whatever locale the forum or the user has set.

Users can also set a custom start of the week in their account settings, under ā€œInterfaceā€.

Screenshot%20at%20Apr%2016%2010-16-34

3 Likes

Nice work, Angus! I updated my community to latest and it is looking really good. Super happy to be able to just click around the calendar without ā€˜committingā€™ to go look at any one event. :sunflower:

Minor issue - I see in your screenshot and in my site that the & html encoding seems to be a bit broken in the event cards.

3 Likes

Yeah, I think it may be a core issue though (cf. this bug report). Will check it tomorrow.

3 Likes

What are your thoughts on repeating events Angus?
Even if itā€™s just weekly repeating to start withā€¦

5 Likes

Today, when adding event details on mobile (ios), the interface was a bit glitchy - not sure why or how best to describe it. Part of the interface disappeared at various points, seemingly behind the keyboard but still was gone after making the keyboard disappear. I know this is going to be a constantly moving target and am not too worried about it, but thought Iā€™d mention it.

For when you have time/inclination to look at refinements to this plugin: I canā€™t remember if I asked about this before, but it would be handy to be able to add event dates via the title edit functionality. eg. select pencil next to topic title and then edit title, categories, tags and event details.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve added a setting that lets you format the time in calendar entries: events event time calendar format. The default is HH:mm (i.e. 24 hr).

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-events/commit/7f7fd872657fac623eb039ff373c9506fbfd8dc7

This joins the existing settings that let you format the datetimes:

• in the event label in the topic: events event label format; and

• in the event label in the topic list: events event label short format.

hm can you show me an example in Google Calendar itself? On a quick review it seems Google Calendar does this same thing this plugin is currently doing (i.e. just showing the start time).

Screenshot%20at%20Apr%2018%2012-00-51

Yes, good idea. Iā€™ve made this change. Days from a different month will have a light grey background and have grey (instead of black) text.

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-events/commit/11bb79263f7d2f2217f07592dfb450d34de171c3

Screenshot%20at%20Apr%2018%2012-24-34

I havenā€™t noticed that specific behaviour myself; take a screenshot if it happens again. But generally speaking the event modal does indeed need to perform better on mobile, itā€™s optimised for desktop, and ā€˜just worksā€™ on mobile.

Updated tasklist:

1 - RSVP feature - next few days / weekend.

2 - Improve add event experience on mobile - next week.

3 - Add event details to onebox previews.

? - Event calendar for groups

3 Likes

I just see google calendar app on my phone.

2 Likes

Hi Angus! Happy Friday. Trust youā€™re keeping well. I wanted to point out that the event details seem to take up alot of horizontal space in topic lists, and also affect the meaning somewhat - see this example.

I canā€™t help but think maybe itā€™d be better to just dispense with the event date/time, to put it behind a mouseover, or move it after or below the topic title in a smaller, subtler font? People who want to know more can click through and read about the event dates as they read the topic.

Iā€™ve been putting the date of events in parentheses already for posterity, which I should probably remove as the rollout of the events plugin on our site continues.

3 Likes

Iā€™ve used CSS to float the date/time to the right on desktop view (so that it doesnā€™t cause jumbled left alignment of titles).

On mobile view Iā€™ve put it on a separate line, in a smaller font. Example:

5 Likes

Can I add this plugin to subcategories?

1 Like

Yes, any category can have Events turned on, regardless of whether it has a parent category or not.

4 Likes

Very nice plugin! Thanks very much!

1. Is it possible to add multiple dates for a same event? For now it is not, I have to write multiple topics.

2. If I just have a day but no time for an event, is it possible to not display 00:00 ?

1. Is it possible to have a french translation? Without buying a plan in Github as explain here :
2 Likes

Not yet, but I can add it to the to do list.

hm it shouldnā€™t be doing that. Iā€™ll take a look on the weekend.

Yup, this plugin is on transifex. You can submit a french translation there.

3 Likes

Thanks for your answer. I submited a french translation in Transifex, how can I have this translation now?

3 Likes

Thanks :+1: Iā€™ve added the strings you translated to the repo:

https://github.com/angusmcleod/discourse-events/commit/0bea365ca6c78b7b054e4c83e53c17029aa0772b

You just need to update to the latest version of the plugin.

5 Likes

Thanks for all your hard work! I donā€™t want to push, but do you have an idea of roughly when the RSVP feature will be available? Iā€™m really excited for it :slight_smile:

1 Like