Create staged users via API?

I’ve been wanting to use discourse as a generic form processor to handle contact forms. I hate contact forms, but some users would rather use a contact form them than send an email. Even if I think those people make bad decisions, I’d like to make it easier for them to contact me so they can give me money.

It would be really handy to be able to create a message that creates a staged user without having to resort to some other system to process the form and send an email.

I assume I’ll need to create a plugin to do this, but that’s my plan.

This is one of the only things I have left to figure out to get rid of wordpress.

So maybe what I’ll do in the plugin is create the post as if it were an email. That might not be too hard on a plugin. And that would likely make it possible via am api.