How do we want to display admins, mods and category mods on the about page?

I think it depends a little. Before I sign up, the information about who owns the forum and will get my data can be relevant. This is obvious at forums related to a company, but not at a quite small community about a hobby. So something like a site owner is interesting, not necessarily all admins, but someone responsible. This is maybe also the person you would contact if you disagreed with the decision of a moderator.

In general, I think highlighting the moderators as the ones to contact first is very helpful. The default guidelines say:

This site is operated by your [friendly moderator team](%{base_path}/about) and you, the community. If you have any further questions about how things should work here, open a new topic in %{feedback_category} and let’s discuss! If there’s a critical or urgent issue that can’t be handled by a meta topic or flag, [contact the moderators](%{base_path}/about).

When all moderators are also admins, this can be confusing because no moderators are shown at /about. That’s why it’s definitely problematic the way it was, and highlighting moderators fixes that.

I think category moderators have a shield next to their username at posts in their category, but it’s not that eye-catching.

(The German translation uses ‘team’ instead of ‘staff’, so that isn’t a problem, while “Administratoren und Moderatoren” is quite long and creates the impression they are all male, so I like when ‘staff’ is used)

1 Like