"1 person sent a private message to this user"

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #1

Aren’t private messages supposed to be… private?

(Kane York) #2

I believe that’s counting actions taken via the flag menu.
Flag -> “Notify michaeld”.

EDIT: I sent you an example one :smiley:

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #3

I understand that. But I don’t think other people need to see this, by definition of “private”.

(Luke Larris) #4

This is a pretty cool feature, but I’m not sure how it’s useful.

And @michaeld the message is still private no matter if there’s a small message about the action under the post or not, normal users cannot read your private messages.

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #5

I think the sheer existence of a private message is something that should be private to the sender and recipient of the message.

EDIT maybe I should give an example where this could be problematic. Take a forum where people discuss extremely personal matters and someone talks about being pregnant, in debt, gay or suicidal, and asks if other people are dealing with the same kind of stuff. The fact that it’s visible that a specific person sent a private message about such a topic could be harmful to this person, because it could give something away about very private circumstances, without other people even knowing the content of the message. And especially since the user that sends the PM does probably not realize that this information is made public, I think this feature is not a very good idea.

(Kane York) #6

I think that it is a good idea. The private message is intended to be sent in the context that “you know, there might be something wrong with this post” (it’s placed in the flag menu).

I believe that it can be a little vindicating for others thinking that there’s a problem - “no, I’m not crazy, he was a little over the top there.”

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #7

Another option that can be chosen there is “This post contains something I want to talk to this person directly and privately about.”

(Jeff Atwood) #8

This should only be visible to admins and moderators. Are you seeing it here on meta where you are not an admin or moderator? If so that’s a bug.

(Kane York) #9

I am definitely seeing it here while logged-out.

(Michael - DiscourseHosting.com) #10

Yes, I saw it here on meta, for instance top post of this thread: 301 Moved Permanently

Found it on HTG as well, bottom post: How to Install Microsoft Office on Linux - HTG Articles - How-To Geek Discussion

BoingBoing: Jack Kirby double-spreads - boing - Boing Boing BBS

EDIT maybe this change?
https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/6fbc5af284313ed58bcb9cb217ebe5b0f313fa01

(Luke Larris) #11

I’m seeing it too.

(Sam Saffron) #12

Just patched this, it is deployed here.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

This topic was automatically closed after 1 day. New replies are no longer allowed.