2.2.0.beta4 broke Avatar Flair Image for Groups

Old Flair Image for groups configurations with Font Awesome stopped showing, however, shows OK with uploaded image. When trying to set up a new Flair, get a message about Flair URL invalid (e.g. /uploads/default/original/1X/…143.png) or silent failure for Font Awesome (fa-camera fa-lg). Even when trying to copy same image URL that still works for old group into a new group, get the Invalid URL message. For image URLs, the preview icon does display the correct Flair, just fails to save the new setting.

OK, found out that the image URL now requires full domain name, e.g. https://my.forum.com/uploads/default/original/1X/...ed2.png.

FA icons are broken though.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Any comments on this @pmusaraj?

(Penar Musaraj) #4

This is unrelated to FontAwesome 5, that’s not merged yet. @AlexL did you try this without “fa-lg”?

Tried just with fa-camera and few other combinations. The point is - it used to work for 2 years and broke after the update to 2-2-0-beta4 (from 2.1?, not sure) without any other changes on my part. All my attempts were to fix the problem with vanished flair icons, not try something new.

To clarify:

1. After the update, FA icons do not show anymore.
  2. Old image URLs icons still show and their path is shown as relative (without domain) in configuration page.
  3. When trying to configure new icons with FA, it silently fails - nothing displayed on preview, save completes without error, no flair icons shown afterwards.
  4. When trying to configure new icons with image URL (relative path), they are shown correctly in preview, but cannot be saved due to displayed Invalid URL error.
  5. Image URLs can be used now only with absolute path (including domain).

(Penar Musaraj) #6

I can’t reproduce this. I see the icons in both the group list and as avatar flair for users. One thing to keep in mind though, is that flair only shows if the group with this configuration is set as the user’s primary group. Can you confirm that this is the case?

I can’t reproduce this either. If I type “fa-camera” into a group flair field, I see the icon in the preview:

Yes, I can reproduce this, I’m not sure whether this is a recent change or not, will have to take a look.

(Evgeny) #7

@AlexL - and what is your version now? FontAwesome 5, broke earlier icons, but that was a couple of days ago. v2.2.0.beta4 +???

[v2.2.0.beta4 +32]
[v2.2.0.beta4 +32]

(Evgeny) #9

Try upgrading to the latest version.

It says I am up to date, so I do not want to experiment.

(Evgeny) #11

I think this change corrected that.

I have a workaround that works for me currently - uploaded needed FA icon as png and specified domain in image URL.

(Stephen) #13

You aren’t up to date, you won’t get a prompt in /admin unless a new beta is released.

The current version is v2.2.0.beta4 +181 - you can visit /admin/upgrade to apply the change and fix this.

Beta 4 was released on November 5th, the fix listed above was released three days later on November 8th. If you upgraded prior to this it would explain the problems you’re experiencing.

Thanks for the explanation, I did not know that. Ideally, I would like not to be prompted about betas and would like to install latest stable version. How can I do that?

(Denis Heraud) #15

You can change this in your app.yml file. Change the ‘version’ parameter from “tests-passed” to “stable”.

Thanks, have done that now. Would expect that to be a default.

(Stephen) #17

It’s not as simple as the above indicates, done incorrectly you can destroy your instance doing this.

You also need to understand the implications of moving to Stable. For one there is no downgrade path, so changing the app.yml and rebuilding can break your site completely.

The current stable is 2.1, you will need to wait until 2.2 reaches stable to rebuild again. When you do this you won’t receive any of the ongoing security, performance and feature upgrades that the majority of sites (which run tests-passed) benefit from.

Thank you for the insight, I reverted back. So, once 2.2 stable is available, I would edit app.yml and run ./launcher rebuild app and that would take me from 2.2 beta4 to 2.2 stable?

(Stephen) #19

If you decide to move to Stable that’s the way, yes. You can only move up, never down.

I would suggest you don’t do it, you’re going to miss out on a lot and be harder to support, but it’s your call. Thankfully 2.2 doesn’t have a release date yet, so you have time to research why it might be inadvisable, before making a firm decision.

There are many topics here on the advice to stick with tests-passed, which is why it’s the version referenced in the app.yml by default. Your recent experience with FontAwesome is an outlier.

Thanks again for good advice.