3 flags of any kind should auto-hide a post

(Drew) #1

Under this behavior, if I understand it correctly, a post can have six flags: two spam, two inappropriate, and two off-topic, and not be hidden. Let’s pretend someone posts a page of only "W"s. I consider that spam, so that’s what I’d flag it as, but the Discourse description for spam specifically says that spam is an advertisement. So, some people might not flag it as spam and instead flag it as inappropriate or off-topic. Now let’s say we have an argument – do I flag it as spam, off-topic, or inappropriate? On other sites I’ve been on, spam is synonymous with off-topic. I could flag an argument as any one of those three and technically not be wrong. Then, anything you’re flagging whether it be spam or something off-topic is inappropriate, so the inappropriate flag can be used for anything flag-worthy.

Flag categories are a grey area. The same post can fit into multiple categories, and if users don’t agree behind-the-scenes and beforehand what they’re going to flag the posts as, you can end up with posts past 3 flags up to 6 that aren’t hidden. If 3 people flag a post, even for separate reasons, we can still conclude that the post probably isn’t a good one, and it should be hidden. In the PM to the poster, the reason can just be something general. Posts with 3 flags of any kind should be hidden automatically.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #2

I agree with this 100%, but want to be sure that “Something Else” doesn’t count. There are so many reasons for those, we have many users flag their own post to bring stuff to our attention.

(Scott Trager) #3

My concern here is abuse. If all it takes is 3 flags, 1 person with 3 flags could hide every post on every board (in theory). Maybe TL level should be a factor?

(Drew) #4

You can only flag a post once. If you flag a post for being Inappropriate, you can’t go back and flag it for being off-topic/spam.

(Scott Trager) #6

1 person can use multiple accounts.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #7

Those accounts should be “flagged” by Discourse as sock-accounts. Non-staff are not allowed to have multiple accounts.

Also, if a user has 3 accounts, then they could just flag the post with the same flag 3 times, this feature doesn’t open up any additional avenues for abuse as far as multiple accounts are concerned.

(Drew) #8

What’s to stop them from doing that currently and flagging the post 3 times for the same reason?

(Scott Trager) #9

They haven’t thought to do it yet?

Fair point…

(Jeff Atwood) #10

No, we already have this, but it requires TL3 flags.

(Drew) #11

What? That seems weird. So if a category gets two flags, a TL3 user’s flag in a different category is like sticky dough and can be picked up by the category with two flags (or any other category for that matter) to meet the 3-of-a-kind flag req to hide a post?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #12

Not all sites have TL3, or a large number of them. If there are this many flags, something should be done. Instead of 3 flags of any kind, what if 6 flags (2 of each) was enough to hide a post…or 5 flags…

(Drew) #13

Can confirm that the site I use doesn’t have any TL3 users (it can only be assigned manually). The staff are weary of that trust level for some reason and only manually promote a select few to Leader to handle day-to-day upkeep.

(Mittineague) #14

This discussion is a bit foundationless.
Did anyone try checking to see if this is how the Flag system works?

Re-tested just now on latest.

TrollGuy1 posted
BasicGal1 (TL1) Flagged as Spam
BasicGuy1 (TL1) Flagged as /inappropriate
MemberGal1 (TL2) Flagged as Off-topic

the post then became hidden

(Felix Freiberger) #15

Out of curiosity: What message did the poster get?

(Jeff Atwood) #16

Sorry, @Mittineague is correct, I was thinking of something else. Note that TL3 spam flags are a one shot kill (hide).

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #17

Just checking, is this actually the case for all posts, or just TL0 posts?
According to What do user trust levels do?:

(Jeff Atwood) #18

Correct, on new user posts only.

(Mittineague) #19

It is a bit off as it gives the last of the three flags as the reason.
So I suppose it is possible it might cause some confusion.
But it links to the post and the Guidelines, so I think most should be able to figure out what was wrong with it.

Hello,

This is an automated message from Discourse Test Site to let you know that your post was hidden.

http://localhost/t/testing-null-first-visited-at-in-firefox/1917/36

Your post was flagged as off-topic: the community feels it is not a good fit for the topic, as currently defined by the title and the first post.

Multiple community members flagged this post before it was hidden, so please consider how you might revise your post to reflect their feedback. You can edit your post after 10 minutes, and it will be automatically unhidden.

However, if the post is hidden by the community a second time, it will remain hidden until handled by staff – and there may be further action, including the possible suspension of your account.

For additional guidance, please refer to our community guidelines.