(5) in title, 1 in unread

(Carlo Kok) #1

I’ve got a weird issue, where when leaving the Window open for a while I get an unread count of say 1, and a (5) in the browser title:

what does this mean and how do I get rid of it? There don’t seem to be 5 notifcations anywhere when this happens.

(Carlo Kok) #2

fwiw I left this window open and had a (1) in the title before the already existing (5) too, refreshed and there was nothing relevant for me to see.

(probus) #3

I’ve had this happen to me here today as well.

(jpierce) #4

I’m the person who originally reported this to carlokok. The same exact thing happened again this morning. I’m using FF26 on Windows7 32bit (actually a VMWare VM).

I also get (1) added to the title anytime I post a reply. And if I have another tab open and post new topics, it keeps increasing the number in parentheses there as well.

(probus) #5

This keeps happening to me all the time, but I can’t put my finger on what triggers it.

Sometimes when I leave a tab open on a discussion, the title changes to reflect that there are new messages (which btw. is a bit confusing even if it worked correctly) when there aren’t any. If I leave a tab open on the topic list page, I get inflated numbers on new and unread tab. When opening such tab the numbers change back to whatever the correct number is.

(Sam Saffron) #6

@eviltrout and I fixed a regression here a few days ago, are you seeing this happen on meta?

(Clifford Duke) #7

This keeps happening to me on meta every half hour or so, it’ll tell me I have 2 unread but when click on it, it’ll have nothing for me.

(Sam Saffron) #8

What page are you on when this happens?

(Clifford Duke) #9

I haven’t tested it everywhere but it’s usually the main Latest page. If it appears on the latest page, it persists to every other section until I click on unread then it disappears.

(Sam Saffron) #10

I think you may be misunderstanding the meaning of (5)

if you are on the latest tab and it shows (5) it means there are 5 changes to latest topics.

if you are on unread it relates to unread and so on.

(Clifford Duke) #11

I’m not referring to the newest topic. Basically this is the gist of what I see:

I open meta discourse, see unread notifications

When I click on unread, the number disappears and it tells me I have no unread topics

The screenshots are just an example of what happens, it hasn’t happened since I logged in today.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #12

Do you happen to use two browsers that both have a Discourse forum open? For example, I often leave meta.d open at home when I leave for work. Then I also have it open and regularly check it at work throughout the day. When I get home, it’s showing me some indicators that I’ve already cleared, such as having unread topics. I don’t consider this a bug, but a side-effect of the way I use the site. In other words, updates are pushed to both browsers, but acknowledging those updates from one browser doesn’t clear them in the other.

Ah, but I have a thought. If acknowledgements of updates aren’t pushed, perhaps a topic being deleted/hidden also isn’t pushed? What I mean is, perhaps your 1 unread topic on meta.d was handled administratively? I don’t know for certain, just putting the thought out there.

(Clifford Duke) #13

Hmm I only usually have meta.d open on one computer at a time, it’s happened while my computer at home is off. Although I wonder if it can be because I have multiple tabs open?

(Bill Ayakatubby) #14

As in, you have meta.d (for example) open in two tabs on the same computer at the same time? And you switch back and forth as to which one you interact with at any given time? That would be essentially the same as having it open on two computers, yes.

(Clifford Duke) #15

Well I open some posts in a new tab. But the odd thing is that this can also happen when I first open up meta.d

(Luke S) #16

This Happens to me on a fairly regular basis as well. One computer, usually only one Discourse tab. (I only open a new tab if I think that a side topic is going to take me down a rabbit hole)

I only see it when I am logged in, but it can show up randomly as I navigate around the forum.

Win 7 pro, latest Chrome.

Though, to be fair, I think that what @ChaoticLoki and I are seeing is different from what the OP was describing. I also thought that there was a bug post on it already, but I can’t find it right now. Is there anything that I could try (Client-side. I don’t have a Discourse instance to play with.) to help pin down whether this is bad data being sent from the server, or if the ember app is glitching in its rendering?

(probus) #17

I think the original issue has been fixed already. At least it hasn’t happened to me any more.

The second issue with wrong count in Unread shows up for me as well. Maybe what happens is it counts topics that are too old:

1. Say there are 10 topics that are almost three days old when you enter the forum, unread will show (10)
  2. you wait a little until they are older that three days, it will still show (10) because the number doesn’t get updated
  3. you open the Unread tab and it will be empty, because it only shows topics newer than three days old

I haven’t tested this and I don’t even know how exactly this works.

(Clifford Duke) #18

Yeah, I realized the issue that OP was talking about was completely different after posting >.>

(Sam Saffron) #19

I fixed a bunch of issues with unread count being off on Friday:

https://github.com/discourse/discourse/commit/41b15d1ad12ccb5c94d1efeb3245261cfa35bca7

Closing this for now, flag to reopen if you notice any issues.

(Sam Saffron) #20