502 Bad Gateway when sending PM to 20,000 users

faq-material

(Fer Nando) #1

I need send pm to all my tl 0 users, but when i send it, i get 502 bad gateway after ten seconds, the group contain about 20.000 members, is a timeout error?

(Sam Saffron) #2

Sounds like a timeout to me, hmmm we are probably going to add some guards in here, a PM to more than 100 users sounds pretty dangerous to me.

(Fer Nando) #3

Can edit any file for add more time and retest?

(Sam Saffron) #4

Not really this would probably take multiple minutes

Why not simply create a global notice?

(Jay Pfaffman) #5

Because it requires people to come to the site to notice. I agree that sending a message to thousands of people is a Bad Idea, but this question comes up often

(Sam Saffron) #6

Which is fair, but there are plenty of other tools you can use for this kind of stuff, like mailchimp etc :slight_smile:

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

Is there an easy way to get all of the email addresses for a group to give mailchimp? (I’m sure I could get them via API, but that’s not easy for most people)

(Sam Saffron) #8

You could do something with data explorer, but yeah, its not trivial.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Data explorer query comes to mind. You can also simply press the “export” button in the admin user list page which returns the entire exported list of users… then just filter it by trust level if that row comes back in the full user list export. @techapj can you confirm?

(Arpit Jalan) #10

Yes, that is correct and the best way to do it. The list (CSV file) will contain information (including trust level) for all the users, one user per row.

(Arpit Jalan) #11

If you are only looking for list of email addresses of all the registered users then running this query in Data Explorer:

SELECT email FROM users

And exporting the result in CSV/JSON format will do the trick too.

(Jay Pfaffman) #12

Well, that’s not so hard. :slight_smile: