Help brainstorm what things could make a more robust ecosystem for creating, sharing and modifying themes for Discourse. As ideas gain traction, I will list them below and point to new or existing topics discussing the specifics of that idea
What ideas could make a more robust ecosystem for creating, sharing and modifying themes?
- ability to import and export a complete theme
- ability to share / reference a theme from another discourse instance via a URL
- ship discourse with multiple themes to choose from
- a (sub)category on meta for discussions about sharing and customizing themes
- ability to let users select a different theme | (2)
- a (wordpress-ish?) theme store/website/place where you can easily browse several styles
- allow a customisation to come from a source in github with a simple update button to “get latest / revert to version”
- have a template browser built in to site customisations eventually so you can browse through existing endpoint and list plugin outlets
- add a selector for which columns show up in the topic list (like what exists for the navigation menu)
- have an easier way to override the templates for the important things without having to use a plugin
In mid December, @codinghorror started a discussion about Minimal Discourse - a custom theme for discourse developed by @karissa and ange. The discussion was focused around what could be learned from that design so as to improve the default theme that ships with Discourse.
@sam then started experimenting with his own Minimal Theme and publicized a hack so that others could load it live on meta to ‘live with it’ (as I have been doing for a number of weeks now) by bookmarking the sticky preview link.
In a discussion that followed later, @geek posted:
To be fair, Sam’s minimal theme goes a long way to illustrate just how configurable things are. But maybe some other things should be easier that go beyond the existing easy styling system.
And as @JSey noted, more could be done to improve the ecosystem for authoring and sharing themes.
If you have any ideas for how to improve the ability to create, modify or share themes, please post your thoughts below!