A new project aimed playing Discourse with docker-compose or rancher-compose and less rebuilds

(leopku) #1

I start a new project aimed using Discourse in rancher platform recently.
Another goal was less rebuilds after modifications.

Example site: https://explore.hidocker.io/ was build with this project and rancher-compose.

Project repo: GitHub - leopku/discourse-compose: Discourse for docker compose and rancher compose. https://github.com/leopku/discourse-compose
Issue: Issues 路 leopku/discourse-compose 路 GitHub
Gitter: leopku/discourse-compose - Gitter

Discourse docker not supporting PG 9.6
(Felix Freiberger) #2

Related:

(zh99998) #3

GREAT! I CANT STAND BOOTSTRAPPING

a prebuilt image will reduce much downtime when upgrading & changing settings, and docker-compose is much clear than old template/container structure.

I鈥檓 dreaming docker-compose to be official and primary installation way.
but since @sam always think old one is work well enough and docker-compose is immature 鈥 sigh鈥

(Matt Palmer) #4

It鈥檚 not that ./launcher 鈥渨orks well enough鈥, it鈥檚 that docker-compose doesn鈥檛 work, for what Discourse needs to do (as adequately described in the topic Felix linked to, above). If you want to call it 鈥渋mmature鈥, insofar as it doesn鈥檛 provide the features that Discourse needs, well I suppose that鈥檚 one way of looking at it, but I鈥檇 be more inclined to call it 鈥渘ot fit for this purpose鈥.

(leopku) #5

Honestly, it鈥檚 no case about which is good or bad between ./launcher and docker-compose

Changes should be split two different parts.
One part is need to rebuild image, and the other part is Only need to restart containers.
All changes must rebuild image is a bad smell.

Maybe, we should split ./launcher into two parts.
Functions of one are os checking, docker version checking, etc. This part is no need run frequently and need rebuild image.
Functions of other one are some configuration changes. Changes of this part can be detected by softwares in container, so just restart container can take effect.

Best regards.

(Matt Palmer) #6

Is that the royal 鈥渨e鈥, the self-referential 鈥渨e鈥, or the passive-aggressive 鈥渨e鈥?

Can Discourse ship frequent Docker images that do not need to be bootstrapped?
(leopku) #7

Sorry for my poor english.
Self-referential is maybe the correct.