A way to Lock new users to Level 0?

Is there a setting or programmatic way lock all new users to trust level 0?

Why? We want to manually promote accounts from level 0 to 1.

All new accounts will be created via SSO. This means every user on our platform could make an account, in theory. Our mostly-private forum will be structured like an iceberg… one public announcement category everyone can see, and then all other categories will be visible only to trust levels 1+, a small subset of the platform users.

If we can’t do it programmatically, what settings can I use to keep new level 0’s from progressing to 1? (make them read 65535 minutes of posts?)

1 Like

Yeah that is how I would do it, just make TL1 unattainable automatically.

Keep in mind TL0 is a very tough spot to be in permanently, your experience is heavily stunted.

2 Likes

Being locked at trust level 0 is quite severe. It is called a new user sandbox for a reason. I do not think this is a good solution, we will get blamed for a broken site.

2 Likes

Especially if they Search for info about Trust Levels and don’t think that the defaults have been upped.

@Becky_Herndon

I’m curious, which of these if removed as a limitation do you see would be a problem for you?

Users at trust level 0 cannot…

Send private messages to other users
Reply as new topic in the right gutter (UI removed)
Flag posts
Post any images
Post any attachments
Post more than 2 hyperlinks in a post
Have actual links in the 'about me' field of their profile (will be silently and temporarily converted to plain text)
Mention more than 2 users in a post

I need to edit that slightly, TL0 users can post 1 image now.

Thanks Sam I will try that.

@codinghorror , I don’t want people to blame the site, and I don’t think that will happen with our group. I can’t think of a better analogy than college applications at the moment.

submit college application > get accepted and access higher learning

Our TL0 users are applicants for a hand-picked community. We don’t want them doing anything at all on the forum until they are picked for promotion. We’ll have a post in a category they can see explaining how to apply for advancement. We will also explain things in the About section and maybe FAQ. Once accepted, we’ll promote users to TL1.

1 Like

still no way to autolock all new users at TL0 is there?

Just set the trust level thresholds to reach TL1, 2 and 3 very high.

Your users will have a very bad time permanently locked in the TL0 sandbox though, it’s quite strict.

Roger that.
We just want to (with daily moderation) go through our own manual 2nd step verification process and leaving them for a few hours before one of the dozen admins (worldwide) sees them and completes the additional internal step, it is the easiest way, but if they escape TL0 within the short time before we get to them, it’s a PITA for us

Thx

It seems that a better way to do this today would be to require approval for all new accounts?

1 Like

Maybe I would think that it’s not really replaceable. TL0 users can at least speak, but users with no approval cannot even login.

You’re right, it’s not exactly equivalent, but the OPs needs were rather strict:

So there’s a number of ways today to accomplish this:

• force approval of new users
  • use discourse-automation to lock new users to TL0 (if it can)
  • use a “new user” webhook to trigger an external event that calls back and locks the trust user to TL0

And some that would require code changes:

This feels like a rare requirement.

@Becky_Herndon what did you end up implementing?

1 Like