Ability to change who the post is directed to when Editing a Post

(Caue Rego) #1

I’m really sorry if it’s repeated! Hard topic to search on.

I couldn’t edit who I was replying to, there. The only relevant part of this screenshot is the “jmkni” dimmed out there. I’m leaving this screenshot here because this bug is much related to another one I’ve posted next.

Steps to reproduce:

• find a topic with at least 2 posts.

• reply to one post.

• edit it.

• try to change who you’re replying to. you can’t.

(David Maxwell) #2

That’s because you’re replying to a post, not to a person. The “who” is related to the post, not to a person specifically.

(Caue Rego) #3

I don’t see your point. We still can’t change it.

(cpradio) #4

I don’t understand why you think you could do it. You already replied to a given post, you are simply editing the reply you already made. Wouldn’t the acceptable behavior be, you delete your first reply and create it again, this time picking the correct post you want to reply to?

I think this is a feature request, not a bug. I highly doubt this was ever permitted.

(Caue Rego) #5

You’re probably right. When writing this answer I replied to you, then I could change who I’m replying to. And it does make sense we’re not able to change and edited post. That was never my intent.

So answering your question, at least 1 reason “I thought I could do it”: I was writing a big answer, many thing going there. Then I have had just posted it few minutes ago and, when reading it, I realized I had replied to the wrong person. When I decided to edit it and make it right, I couldn’t.

Maybe the bug here is we should be able to do it within the 5 minutes edit grace period. :wink:

Thinking on a 2nd reason, even if it’s a late fix, why not? It’s just a fix. Why blocking this anyway? Is it being abused somehow?

(cpradio) #6

I’m neutral on that part. Could careless if the ability was added, in the meantime, I’ve moved this to the feature category and updated the title to reflect it better :smile: