Ability to Follow and Friend other users

pr-welcome

(Jeff Atwood) #22

This is an interesting way of scoping it down.

Er… doesn’t this already exist? I can click your avatar here, click “Visit Profile”, and then see all your activities streaming down on your user page right there.

(Omni) #23

However, you only that I exist within this thread.

If you wanted to find my future posts, you would be forced to revisit this thread.

(Jeff Atwood) #24

All your future posts and actions (that are public) will show up on your user profile page in the stream.

I could just bookmark your user page to follow you in that manner.

(Omni) #25

I haven’t been able to find a way to bookmark a user profile. I might have been overlooking it.

(Zane Beckman) #26

In addition, doing it that way (user page) is no easier than simply searching for posts by the user’s name.

There’s value provided in being notified when someone you “follow” opens a new topic, if you’re following them for important reasons. You no longer have to seek out the user’s posts.

If a feature like this is added, I would also suggest that it be disableable.

(Jeff Atwood) #27

What in the wide, wide world of sports are you talking about?

It’s a zillion times easier – click avatar, click profile, click topics. Done. Now you have a list of all topics that user ever created. Want to go back to that user profile, or that list of topics, in the future? Click that ever-lovin’ bookmark button in your web browser.

“searching by user name” isn’t even possible here.

(Zane Beckman) #28

Welp.

I plugged ‘codinghorror’ into the search box and then only checked one link to see if it was a topic you’d initiated.

I still say there could be value in being notified of a user’s posts, if that’s what a particular user wanted to do.

“Followed” users’ posts could also be pulled into the unread tab instead of (or in addition to) posting a notification.

This might be good territory for a plugin.

(Omni) #29

Ah, so we were talking about different bookmarks. I was referring to the bookmark option within discourse.

Having to rely on a browser introduces another layer of complexity, in my opinion. This would require a user to keep track of their current bookmarks, and export/import as needed whenever they decide to use a new one. This would also leave them blind if they had no choice but to use another browser or machine. For example, being on a computer at the library.

My thoughts were to keep the feature within Discourse itself.
Going along with bookmarking in Discourse, what about an option to bookmark a user profile, just as one could bookmark a thread?

This sounds like a good idea as well.

I think having a way to bookmark users and have that as a separate menu item on your profile page is a compromise to having an aggregated feed. It’s handier than having to hunt the people down in various other places that you’d see them.

But an aggregated feed of just their topics / posts (i.e., not all activity) would be very useful, especially here. Back home, I pretty much read everything (as do many).

(Barnabas) #31

Yeah I support the follow feature. This is essential thanks for the idea @Bram

(Barnabas) #32

Bookmarking user profiles too can work if there will be a way to sort between bookmarked threads and user profiles.

(FichteFoll) #33

I mentioned this in a different topic, but this is a really nice use case for following people: Prioritize them in the “Users” list of a topic.

(Erick Guan) #34

It’s confusing. How can I differentiate it with the normal behavior?

User post list seems the right answer to the timeline which contains the full list of your followers’ posts. You can jump in the list to find what you interested in.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #35

I’m not in dire need of any “friends” functionality, but if we were to have any, I don’t want to spend much time adding them myself. I would prefer…

Automatic Circles

Much like how Discourse automatically follows threads, it could also automatically follow users.

• You read a certain amount of their posts.
  • You replied to / quoted them several times.
  • You pmed them.
  • You participate in many of the same threads.

The most applicable use case for “Friends” I’ve been able to think of thus far would be in tandem with some sort of Presence feature. I am indeed interested in knowing if my fellow staff members and other close affiliates are currently browsing the forum.

Poll: Would you like to see Personalized / Customized User Feed for Discourse?
(Jeff Atwood) #36

Well, as pointed out elsewhere, this is the logical opposite of Civilized Mute – instead of

• suppressing all notifications from that user

you’d

• add all possible notifications from that user

I think it would be a bit weird in the notifications stream since we expect notifications to be “people talking directly to me” and this would insert someone into your notifications that was not talking to you.

Self-inflicted, sure… but feels weird.

(Sam Saffron) #37

Its not much weirder than watching a topic or category. I think it is fine.

(Jeff Atwood) #38

Possibly but I suggest those notifications should show up with a “person” icon so it is clear why you got them.

(Alessio Fattorini) #39

Facebook do the same when a friend post in a group you joined

(Christopher Heald) #40

@codinghorror & @sam, would a high level storyboard and/or wireframe for a following users feature be helpful? If so, is there a specific form that would be preferable?

(Jeff Atwood) #41

Doubtful as the UI would be nearly identical to mute user.