Ability to mark as read

(Brandon Rampersad) #1

Ability to mark all unread threads as read since not everything in new or unread i want to return to read.

Idea: mark as read per new topic from list
(Jeff Atwood) #2

We are strongly opposed to a “mark all read” feature on the project as we view this as a cop-out, as admitting defeat.

Two things:

1. New topics don’t stay new. Try visiting again later to see what I mean.

2. Visit your user page, preferences, and check out the “automatically track topics I enter” setting.

Is there Mark forum read button or can we have that?
(Doug Moore) #3

But do unread topics stay unread?

(Gweebz) #4

After returning from vacation for two weeks, I often don’t care about what people have been talking about while I was away, especially on less formal forums. It’s like using Twitter, I wouldn’t expect someone to read EVERY single tweet from the people they follow every day. If they get behind, they can just start back up anytime, ignoring the older ones.

Saying that marking threads as read is a cop-out is saying that you think you know what is best for everyone at all times. Why not let them make up their own minds? Even if not in core, I bet this could turn into a very popular plugin…

(Jeff Atwood) #5

New topics only show as new for 48 hours max. So if you came back after 2 weeks you’d only see new topics marked as new if they were 48 hours old or less.

(We want to make “how does this user define new” configurable…edit: now it is, see your user profile.)

As for topics you are tracking, we could perhaps offer a “stop tracking all topics” option. Note that you can set auto-track to taste on your user preferences.

(Gweebz) #6

I like the idea of “stop tracking all” and I didn’t realize that “New” topics gets removed from the New list eventually automatically. With these two features, I agree that “mark all as read” does not provide any additional value.

(Cade Roux) #7

Thanks sweet baby Jesus with your Baby Einstein educational toys.

(Doug Moore) #8

I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but I would love to be able to “ignore” topics that I know I have no interest in. Occasionally I will peruse the Popular list for older topics that I didn’t read the first time around and may not be in the New list, but there are ones I know I will never read and would like to hide from whatever my “show everything” view is.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

You can already do this – set the topic to “Muted” on the notification type selection button at the bottom of the topic.

Muted
You will not be notified of anything about this topic, and it will not appear on your unread tab.

(Doug Moore) #10

No, I want it off the popular tab. For when I’m viewing things that are “read” because they are older than the threshold for dropping off new/read. This may be a pattern of me not “getting it” though, and as I use Discourse more it may not seem necessary. I already like the New/Unread tabs 100x better than I did yesterday.

(Sam Saffron) #11

Well, this was not strictly true until today (48 hour threshold for new). But now it is, and there is a user preference to tweak it and a site setting to set the default.

(Steve Baer) #12

Ok, but what about a quick mark single item as read type feature? I am hearing this a lot from users of our forum and people around the office. My behavior has become:

1. Look at the New and unread pages
  2. Click on pages that I know I will have no useful input for so they get pruned from these lists
  3. Now I’m finally at a state where I have a list of unread/new items that matter to me

It is step 2. that is time consuming since I have to visit a bunch of pages just to prune down my list. I would like to not leave the new or unread page and be able to quickly slim down my list of posts that I need to spend a considerable amount of time reading and possibly replying to.

(Jeff Atwood) #13

Is this one of the dozens of existing requests for the ability to set tracking state on a group of topics?

In other words, on your list of unread topics you would checkbox 3 of them, select “switch from tracking to regular” and click OK to make it take effect? You never enter these 3 topics, you simply informed Discourse you were no longer interested in being notified of new posts in these 3 topics, and bam, it takes effect immediately.

Yes? Or did you want to actually enter these 3 topics and read the new posts inside them?

(Steve Baer) #14

I guess the answer would be “yes”. I don’t think of new posts as something I am switching from “tracking to regular”, but technically I believe that is the effect I’m after.

I don’t want to enter these posts and read them because I can already tell from the title that they are something that I won’t have any useful input for. I’m looking at a list of 30+ posts on the new page and I want to quickly reduce that to the 8 that I may possibly participate in.

(Jeff Atwood) #15

One difference, this means you will never be notified about new posts in that topic. So to be 100% clear, when you do what I described above, you are saying “I will never care about new posts in this topic ever again.”

You will of course continue to be notified normally if someone @name mentions you in that topic, or if someone replies to your post in the topic. (Unless you set the topic to “muted”…)

And you could switch topics at will from tracking to regular and back, but when you do this, you will see new counts from the last time you entered the topic, whenever that was, not from the time you last switched the topic notifications from tracking to regular. Just to be clear about that.

(Steve Baer) #16

That’s probably fine though I can imagine there are cases where a topic becomes interesting to you because so damn many posts have happened in it over time.

I really just want the system to do what it currently does when I visit a topic/post without actually having to enter the topic/post. Kind of a pretend I went there button on the new/unread pages.

(Jeff Atwood) #17

We view “mark all as read” as a sign of design failure, so your latter request is unlikely to happen.

We absolutely want to offer a way to change notification state (and other stuff) on groups of topics without entering them, though, for sure. That is coming.

(Eliseo Soto) #18

It’s kind of disappointing to know that this is not planned to be implemented. Without this “New” is kinda useless.

I’ll give it a go for some time though.

(Jeff Atwood) #19

It’s here. As of today, you can now dismiss read topics via the “Dismiss Read” button at the bottom of the Unread tab.

Note that this changes all the topics on your unread list from “tracking” or “watching” state to “regular” state. So you won’t see new post counts on any of those topics again once you press the Dismiss Read button.

You may want to read the things of interest there, then when you’re done, go back and Dismiss Unread to set all the remaining unread topic states to “regular” in one click, without having to enter each topic and do it manually.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #20

First of all, I am very glad I read this post before seeing that button, because there’s no indication whatsoever that it actually untracks all of your posts, which is an incredibly serious action, especially for a large queue of posts.

Though I’m happy you’re starting to experiment with Mark as Read, this does nothing for me. I have an unread queue of 90 posts for two main reasons:

• I read some posts by e-mail.
  • I read threads in best-of mode or manually skimmed through, so some unread posts remain

There’s nothing new for me in these posts. Not in any way does that mean I want to stop tracking them. If anything actually new gets added, I want to know about it. If I untracked them all with a bulk action it would have been a small disaster.