Ability to set default topic notification?

(Surya Sasmita) #1

It seems that Original Poster will be set automatically as Watching the topic. How can I force topic notification to Regular? even for the OP.

(Sam Saffron) #2

Look there

:arrow_down:

(Surya Sasmita) #3

I mean setting it globally on my discourse installation via admin

(Sam Saffron) #4

No way to do that at the moment.

(Surya Sasmita) #5

please consider this option

(Sam Saffron) #6

I am curious, why would you want this option forum wide?

(Surya Sasmita) #7

when i open my discourse dashboard on email tab. i saw that a user getting many emails because the topic was so alive. i don;t want to spam them, so, could i turn it off?

on other forum engine, there would always be a site wide option whether a user will subscribe to a topic or not when they post / create a topic

(Sam Saffron) #8

Watching and email are related but not the same thing. A user can control how much email they get via prefs.

Watching means you will be notified (on site and optionally via email) for every reply to a topic. It is correct to assume you care about a topic if you create it.

If you want to cut down the amount of email discourse sends out, that is a different discussion.

(Dave McClure) #9

better to teach the user about their options… they can set a particular topic to regular if they feel they are getting too many notifications and they can also adjust their own email settings:

(Surya Sasmita) #10

great advice @mcwumbly
I’ll make a banner topic about this

but, could this be forced site wide too? just in case my users are too… dense

(Dave McClure) #11

As sam said:

That’s kind of core discourse philosophy: read more than you write, you should care about what you write about.

My 2 cents: I think you should see how things work with the current feature set before pushing too hard for this… In the mean time, this topic is here now if others share your point of view…

(Sam Saffron) #12

Our intention is to have the ability to set defaults for pretty much all the user preferences as a site admin, this will not happen for v1 though.

(Jens Maier) #13

Sure, but is it correct to assume that you care so much that you absolutely must be notified of any new replies? Not all topics are serious questions or important discussions; sometimes it’s just a different flavour of cute cat images.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

OK, so click the notification setting button after posting your new topic and set it from “Watching (because you created it)” back to “Regular”. Done and done.