About keyboard shortcuts for finding and placing links

(Caue Rego) #1

I’m now quite annoyed by 2 keyboard shortcuts I use often. CMD (or CTRL) + F and CMD + L. The former do not only steal my attempt to find stuff in the current page, it also seem to break even CMD + G eventually. Maybe it should be replaced by nothing at all, CMD + S or even / - such as in gmail.

And CMD + L, while a minor annoyance, sometimes make me type in the URL field. Why not set it as CMD + K (again, following google lead). Maybe discourse should just have an admin option to customize those shortcuts… But I’d still personally prefer to suggest these to be the default.

P.S.: Originally I had posted the other 2 topics on the right all in one in here and asked if it was okay doing it so. Since Jeff’s feedback, I’ve quickly edited it.

Several post warnings
Smiley faces popup replacement
Contributing.md mentions a CHANGELOG
(Bill Ayakatubby) #2

As far as I know, Cmd + L/Ctrl + L has always sent focus to the address bar. I’ve been using it for years. Where specifically is Discourse intercepting that keystroke? I can’t seem to find it.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

I would also advise against topics that contain four different topics. What are we talking about again?

(Kane York) #4

The editor captures Ctrl-L to be inserting a link. I actually do find it kinda annoying…

(Caue Rego) #5

Your desire is my order, sir. :wink:

(Caue Rego) #6

How did you do the magical keyboard shortcut looking?! :open_mouth:

(Arpit Jalan) #7

Press ? key.

(Caue Rego) #8

If you were replying me, that’s cool! But not what I meant. How you did the cool drawing of a key around ?

(Arpit Jalan) #9

View the source, to know the secret!

(Caue Rego) #10

I only asked how to do it because I couldn’t find how to view the source. So, maybe that would have been a better question. :stuck_out_tongue:

So, url hacking (replace /t/subject for /raw) is the only way to view the source, at the moment? I wonder how hard would it be to make a pull request for that…

And damn! I actually used to know that <kbd> key </kbd> thing…

(cpradio) #11

Okay, so we are specifically talking about the Composer/Editor when it comes to CMD+L and CMD+G for Insert Hyperlink and Upload Image/File

CMD+S is generally reserved for Saving, so I’m not sure I’d want to tie that to inserting a link or an image/file.

CMD+K is already reserved for inserting pre-formatted text.

CMD+F only affects viewing topics (to my knowledge), and if you press it twice, you get the typical Find option that your browser supports. CMD+F+F

One thing I believe needs to happen, is titles on the keyboard buttons that identify what they are and their shortcuts. I’m not sure if this is a regression (as I thought it used to do that), but it definitely isn’t happening anymore.

Edit: It seems to be showing the title/mouseover info again. No idea why I couldn’t get that yesterday… oh well.