Activation emails go to spam folder

Hello

When a user signs up, the activation email goes to the spam folder for some reason. I am using DigitalOcean and SparkPost. Is there anything I can do to assure that emails will go to the inbox instead of the Junk folder?

Thank you in advance.

Activation mail in spam?
(James North) #2

I have this problem with Microsoft/Hotmail/Live users, but not so much with other providers.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Did you follow the quick start guide, read me first tooic advice, in your staff category? Did you use the mail tester service as covered there?

Thank you Jeff for your reply.

Yes, I did. I sent a test email to a google email address but the email went directly to the spam folder. I haven’t changed the notification email, which is noreply@example.com (of course example.com is my domain). I am not really sure what I am missing.

currently, I’m using Elastic Mail, works great, has a free plan also

(Jeff Atwood) #6

That’s not what the topic says to do. Can you refer to the “read me first: admin quick start” topic again please?

Are you talking about this part?

(ljpp) #8

(Kane York) #9

If it’s going straight to spam, read all the advice available. Have you seen anything about SPF / DKIM yet?

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Sorry, I should have been more clear. If you read the test email, it says

We highly recommend you send a test email to mail-tester.com to verify that all the above is working correctly.

I think I’ll make that more clear in the quick start as well.

Alright, so I changed the notification email. It used to be noreply@example.com, and I changed it to hello@example.com. Now the activation email goes to the inbox folder instead of the spam folder.

Thank you all.

Edit: It worked with a Gmail email address and not with a Hotmail.