Add a label to notify all users

(Alfonso Muñoz Pomer Fuentes) #1

I think that a a useful feature would be a special @ user tag to notify all users. As an admin of our own Discourse, especially at this point in time that development is very active and new features are being added and bugs solved, many times i want to make sure that everybody gets notified of the new stuff.

I can see that this feature could get extended to group tags, but that would be another issue although it could use the same idea behind the all users tag. Even a kind of a string replacement could do the trick.

Just an idea coming from regular use.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

This would also be incredibly dangerous for abuse. I can’t say I’m a fan…

(Michael Brown) #3

Pinned topics would probably suit your need.

If you pin a topic without a category, it shows up first for everyone and they can ‘Clear’ it to mark it read. When it’s edited/new content is added (OK, I’m unsure as to EXACTLY what the conditions are) it gets re-pinned.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

It is only re-pinned if it is unpinned and re-pinned, actually. Edits won’t make any difference to the pin.

(Sander Datema) #5

I agree with the horror of reply-all. But @endukugga wants some kind of notification (email).

(Alfonso Muñoz Pomer Fuentes) #6

The idea is to let only admins or highest trust level users use it.

For the time being I’m using pinned topics, but anybody can mute them and I can’t make sure that they are aware of the changes when they happen.

Maybe a broadcast private message or rules for special topics (e.g. pinned topics in meta) that can’t be muted… but perhaps this is straying too much off course from the goals of Discourse.

(Valts) #7

Global broadcast messages (PMs) could be useful, I think. Naturally, only highly trusted people (admins?) would be able to post them.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

You can already send group PMs as a mod, though typing everyone’s @name would be onerous…

(Jonah) #9

I would really like to see this feature. To address @codinghorror’s concerns it could be a site setting disabled by default.

But we’re using discourse at a small-medium size company, and essentially this allows you to replace the ubiquitous "team@mycompany.com" emails that are used for company-wide announcements. It would be great to just do “@all” inside a discourse post, and know everyone would be notified and that discussion would contained inside of discourse rather than in a confusing email thread.

(Sam Saffron) #10

Yes, we think that use case is legit, if anyone feels like working on this, let us know.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

This could be OK as an advanced feature but I think it should still have an

“in case of emergency break glass” around it. Perhaps upon submit of a post with @everyone in it, an alert always pops up like so to make sure:

You’re about to send a notification to @everyone on this forum. That means 391 people will get individually notified of the post you’re about to create. Are you sure that’s what you want?

Yes, Honey Badger Don’t Care No, oh god noooo

Though the text above is obviously meant to be funny instead of serious as in the real alert, I’m actually not kidding.

(mojzis) #12

It would also be great to be able to mention & notify groups - so one could also write @admins and those would be notified. This would probably require a setting on the group which would say who can mention the group (everyone / members / trust level).

(Jake Hower) #13

Has this feature been implemented?

(Jeff Atwood) #16

Slack does something like this, which is very nice

I tried to demo this to get a screenshot on iPad and … uhhh… sent an @everyone notification to everyone. Gotta love (n) different code paths for (n) different devices… good times

(Jeff Atwood) #17

Just to follow up on this, we do have group notifications now, with warning, but there are no plans to allow a “notify everyone” function because that would be f***ing crazy.

(Andrew Byrne) #19

So am I missing something @codinghorror? (other than the obvious…)
The groups system allows you to add users to an everyone group.
Allowing everyone to use that handle would effectively do exactly what the feed discusses.

apologies if thats already mentioned in this feed!

(Felix Freiberger) #20

This should work already, by making the trust-level-0 group mentionable in settings. (It will not work with everyone, though.)

(Alex Armstrong) #21

I’m planning to start allowing mentioning of @trust-level-0 (for admins only). About 10 times a year we need to send emails out, but we don’t want to go through the hassle of putting together a MailChimp.

It would be useful to have a short-hand like @all so that I can use it like this:

Hello @all,

Next week there’s a webinar about XYZ.

Referencing @trust-level-0 just looks weird.

Incidentally, we have to these as @mentions because I would post these messages in our existing Announcements category (some groups are automatically watching the first post of that).

(Jeff Atwood) #22

“Mentioning” every user on a site is so very dangerous I do not feel making this a “handy shortcut” is a good idea.

(Alex Armstrong) #23

I understand where you’re coming from, but not all Discourses are the public forums with thousands of users. My Discourse is a small, private community. I know many of our users personally, since they are members of our organization and we meet face-to-face at least once a year.

We currently use MailChimp for sending announcements, but for simpler communications we’ve began to use an “Announcement” category on Discourse. A select group of institutional liaisons and committee members (about 30-40 users) is set to “watch first post” on that category. The rest will receive it a few days later in their weekly digest. Using Discourse for announcement also has the advantage that people can reply to them, asking for clarifications, etc.

We occasionally have important, time-sensitive communication that needs to go out. To avoid the hassle of setting up a Chimp, I tried yesterday to post in this Announcement category while mentioning @trust-level-0. It took a couple of tries, but it’s worked, and we already have the kind of positive responses that we were expecting.

The “handy shortcut” is not to make it easier for me, but to make it less weird for users, who are already on their guard with Discourse. They feel it’s a very geeky platform, what with all those asterisks and whatnot.

So that’s my use case. Granted, it may be so a niche, that you aren’t interested in accommodating it in core. But I don’t think that any of the above ranks as dangerous :slight_smile:

Who gets notified when you reply to a topic that contains an @mention?