Add edit link to global notice for admins, add dismiss link for everyone

(Tobias Eigen) #1

I forgot where to find the “global notice” setting and it took me a while to find it! I can see this being a very useful tool for communicating with forum members and changing it regularly. Suggest adding a link directly on the global notice visible only to admins to edit it.

Also suggest adding a “dismiss global notice” link that everyone can see to make it go away for the rest of their session. Could look like the X used to close other notifications that popup when editing a new topic etc.

(Kane York) #2

For something dismissable, how about a Globally Pinned topic instead?

The “Clear Pin” functionality is working pretty well, and using topics creates a record of all your announcements.

(Jeff Atwood) #3

No, this is a very invasive notice. It should only be used for extreme cases like “the entire site will be permanently taken offline in 3 days” or “server compromised, all your emails were exposed, see blog entry” and the like. It is NOT for communicating small updates to your user base.

(Tobias Eigen) #4

Ah, thanks @codinghorror - that’s useful to know and makes sense. Maybe a note about that on the settings page would be appropriate.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Good point. I changed the help for that field to

Display an URGENT, EMERGENCY global banner notice to all visitors, change to blank to hide it (HTML allowed).