Add how to change attachment size in the Docker install guide

docker

(Dan Dascalescu) #1

I’ve just installed Discourse by following the 30-minute Docker guide. Pretty painless.

While configuring the site, the first thing that I had to change was the maximum image and attachment size. Turns out that the “nginx/apache” config file had to be modified.

screenshot

While the Docker install boasts that you can install Discourse while inebriated and need as much Linux knowledge as your mom (barring the implicit political incorrectness in that statement), when it comes to changing the attachment size, you suddenly are left hanging.

As a first-time Docker user, it took me about 15 minutes to realize what web server was used (is Apached used in any installation guide?), figure out why there’s no /etc/nginx, realize the going into the Docker instance isn’t a permanent solution, then trawl through various topics on the subject until I found this one, advising to change app.yml:

- replace:
      filename: "/etc/nginx/conf.d/discourse.conf"
      to: client_max_body_size XXm;

There’s no need to let users waste time like this. Adding a link to that post in the Docker install guide would save everyone time and frustration.

New user; my first post is gone
(Jeff Atwood) #2

OK so submit a PR? :wink:

I don’t find that a lot of sites desperately need to change max upload size. I know that we are supposed to be defaulting it to 10mb in the latest images but I have no idea if that is done yet cc: @sam

(Sam Saffron) #3

I just raised it to 10m, to pick up the change

cd /var/discourse
git pull
./launcher rebuild app