Add wp-discourse plugin to WordPress plugin directory

wordpress

(Tobias Eigen) #1

In WordPress world, site owners find and install plugins via the wp-admin dashboard - see screenshot below. Searching for discourse pulls up only an unknown (to me) plugin called PrimeTime WordPress + Discourse SSO which then lets you install it directly or click through to learn more in the plugin library. I have no idea about this plugin and how it works or compares to wp-discourse - but I know enough about discourse to steer clear of it.

The steps to get the wp-discourse plugin are different and a little hidden/hard to find. You go to GitHub - discourse/wp-discourse: WordPress plugin that lets you use Discourse as the community engine for a WordPress blog and click on the download zip button in bottom right corner. Then upload the zip via wp-admin dashboard to install.

I know there are probably good reasons for not having it in the WordPress plugin directory - mainly I’m not sure how versioning is handled. But I think we’re setting ourselves up for more support requests by making the plugin that we know works well so hard to find.

(山) #2

I’m surprised there’s a third-party plugin for an in-house plugin that does the same thing. Unless if it was created first?

Either way, I agree with the concern. It’s easier to manage support that way.

(Sam Saffron) #3

Main reason this never happened was that I started the process and just got lost in how to do it in the confusing Wordpress jungle

@techapj can you add to your list?

(Sam Saffron) #4

I believe @Simon_Cossar already uploaded this.

(Sam Saffron) #5