Adding topic in Disc - different looks for admin and non-admin

(Agnieszka Jaśkiewicz) #1

Hi guys,

we don’t have “uncategorize” category in our forum.
This is how “add new topic” looks when I’m logged in as a user:

(you can’t start typing before you choose the category)

This is how “add new topic” looks when I’m logged in as an admin:

It lets you type but it doesn’t let you post the topic before choosing the category.

I want the second option for everybody (choosing the category make the user abandon the topic). Please let me know how to do it.

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

That’s why the default is to have uncategorized topics.

(Agnieszka Jaśkiewicz) #3

Yup, but in the admin view it works.

User view: the system stops you from writing the post before choosing the category
Admin view: the system stops you from posting the post before choosing the category

I would like to make people choose the category before posting, not before they start typing (just like in the Admin view). How to do that?

(Simon Cossar) #4

When I disable the allow uncategorized topics setting, regular users are forced to choose a category before they can start typing. Admin users are not forced to choose a category before typing, but the system isn’t stopping them from posting without a category. Admin users are still allowed to create uncategorized topics, so they get the same behaviour as when the allow uncategorized topics setting is enabled.

If this isn’t the behaviour that you’re finding, it’s possible there is a setting that I’m missing.