Admin glyph - gavel instead of trophy?

(Lee_Ars) #1

I’ve replaced the default admin “trophy” fontawesome glyph on my Discourse instance with a gavel glyph—I think it’s a much better semantic fit for the role of administrator than the trophy is.

There’s probably a whole examination of the underlying gestalt that could be gone into here—the trophy speaks to separateness or perhaps excellence; it sets aside a thing as being worthy of approbation or at least notice. But IMO it doesn’t wholly square with the role and concept of a forum admin (plus, like I noted elsewhere, at least in the current iteration of the UI the trophy glyph doesn’t even display a tooltip to explain what it is).

The gavel, with its association with decisions and rule-making, seems a better fit.

Regardless, I appreciate that you guys have coded things such that making the change is simple—actually switching it requires only this simple bit of custom css in the admin panel:

// Fontawesome admin icon adjust
.fa-trophy:before {
    content: "\f0e3";
}

(edited to add — here’s a thread on the Soylent discourse forum where @eviltrout edited a user’s post and the user had no idea who @eviltrout was or why he was allowed to do post editing. This kind of post could have been avoided by clearer admin flair, I believe.)

(Dave McClure) #2

While we’re on the subject… what is the moderator glygh? A ruler? A magic wand?

.fa-magic:before {
content: "\f0d0";
}

(Arpit Jalan) #3

It’s magic wand – fa-magic: Font Awesome Icons

And I think, I do like it. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #4

A gavel? Please hammer don’t hurt 'em!

But seriously, I think any glyph is going to be a little odd here. One thing I’ve seen some sites do is have the word “mod” in inverted text, like so:

(Sam Saffron) #5

I wonder if the difference between admin and mod really matters to regular users, maybe do away with both glyphs and add mod instead.

(Dave McClure) #6

I didn’t think it mattered, but in some places it does.

(Bill Ayakatubby) #7

Sure, it matters to some of the internals of Discourse, but as a user, I don’t particularly care about a visible distinction between admins and mods. You’re somebody in power, that’s what matters.

(Neil Lalonde) #8

I totally thought that fa-gavel glyph was a space ship.

(Lee_Ars) #9

I feel seriously retarded that I didn’t think to do that.

/me goes off to do that

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Ultimately we went with shield, and suppress it for admin-only accounts. You must hold the moderator flag to get the shield.

http://fortawesome.github.io/Font-Awesome/icon/shield/