Administrator cannot receive notifications

I am the administrator of my Discourse, but I cannot receive notifications when someone else mention me.

p.s. Notification works for other users except me (as the administrator).

(Sam Saffron) #2

We need a repro for this, and a better description, in all the communities I am a member of and admin I get notifications just fine. Are you sure you don’t have muted categories or something.

Yes, I am sure that fields of muted categories and muted topics in profile page are empty.

the screenshot on the left is my (as an administrator) profile page. mentions tab disappears.

the right-hand picture is the profile page of my colleague. mentions tab is available.

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #5

Are you running the latest version of Discourse? I remember there briefly was a bug here.

(Tobias Eigen) #6

I have vague memories from earlier this year that new user notifications are suppressed for the system user. Are you using the system user account yourself or have you created another account for yourself and given it admin privs?

@zogstrip Discourse 1.5.0.beta4
@tobiaseigen I am the first user right after installation of Discourse, besides system user (whose name is system). Should I create another user and grant administrative privileges to myself?

(Dean Peterson) #8

I am also seeing this in the latest version of Discourse. I am the admin and I only receive notifications for private mails. If I am watching a topic, and someone posts; I do not receive a notification.

Edit Actually I just noticed, notifications for topic replies and posts are not going out for anyone. Is there some kind of background job that can fail and not start back up?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

What are you using to send email? Is there anything on /logs in your browser?

(Dean Peterson) #10

Oh, well I am still using mandrill but I have not signed up for the paid subscription so they shut me off on April 27th. I signed up for Amazon SES and have been approved but I haven’t switched my settings yet. So if I do not have working e-mail settings, even my notifications in the app stop working?

I do see authentication exceptions causing the sender to fail. I assume that also prevents notifications from being generated internally. I guess, I am now forced to enter my Amazon credentials to get things working again. Since e-mail credentials are so critical, it would be great if those could be modified in the web console rather than in the config.yaml file.

(Dean Peterson) #11

Actually, I see errors saying sidekiq is consuming too much memory. That may be a problem. Is there a way to increase the allowed memory for sidekiq?

(Dean Peterson) #12

When I put the new Amazon SES credentials in and rebuilt, a flood of new e-mails went out and the notifications I was expecting were generated.