Advertising Specifications - List / Plugin Request

(Bcguy) #1

Here is a list of the type of advertising options I would like in Discourse. Perhaps others can add to this list. I’m not a software engineer so I don’t know how difficult these are - but perhaps they could be implemented via a Plugin.

Ad Platform Support:

Banner Ads Options

• Horizonal Banner ads placed between messages at the “list” view (Admin can specify how frequently ads show up)
  • Horizonal Banner ads placed between messages in the Message view when there are multiple postings (Admin can specify how frequently ads show up)
  • Horizonal Banner ad placed below the horizontal line (and above the “Invite Friends to Reply” button, when in Message view
  • Vertical banner ads on right of screen when in Message view. Some people have expressed the desire to have a floating 300 by 250 ad. Another approach might be periodically placed ads down the right side (repeats of the same or different ads every second or third message or so). It would be nice to be able to vary the frequency of the ads on the pages from 100% of pages to 1% of pages (see research below).
  • Support for Amazon affiliate ads - I’m thinking specifically of books, in the small text or small image type of ads. These could go either on the right side of the messages, or between messages and topics as per above specifications.

Email Ads

• Banner or Text / adwords ads at the top and/or bottom of outgoing emails to users (digest or notification emails)
  • Bulk email ad send to mailing list/subscriber list - with field to paste HTML into, to send. Periodically it would be nice to be able to send out special notifications and/or advertisements to users - directly from Discourse. With reporting on “opens”, etc. similar to mailchimp, etc.

If Discourse does get some standard integration of advertising options (i.e. banner or text ads) - it would be very nice if it reflected the current research in this area:

http://www.bps-research-digest.blogspot.co.uk/2011/10/are-we-really-blind-to-internet-banners.html10

“The lessons for web advertisers are clear: don’t advertise on every page, vary ad location, and make sure the ad topic is congruent with the web-site content.”

ResearchBlogging.orgHervet, G., Guérard, K., Tremblay, S., & Chtourou, M. (2011). Is banner blindness genuine? Eye tracking internet text advertising. Applied Cognitive Psychology, 25 (5), 708-716 DOI: 10.1002/acp.1742

Monetizing Discourse Talk
Adding Advertising
Bounty / Crowdfund features
Core Advertisements
Official Google DFP plugin feedback
How will anonymous posting mode work?
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Good list! The only current options are at the top and bottom of pages, as documented here.

(Mugli) #3

@codinghorror Both header and footer ads are not so useful for Adsense, maybe for other ad networks, too. Please consider these:

1. Header and footer ads load only once on the entire browsing, so ads don’t change on visiting different pages/posts. That’s the whole point of contextual advertising. The site renders differently for Google crawlers (without javascript) if I’m not mistaken, so each page could show contextual ads only if the full site would allow it because google would have no problem delivering them.
  2. As the ads load only once, impression count doesn’t increase. That means less revenue.
  3. Same static ad during the whole browsing means more “banner blindness”, less click, again less revenue.
  4. Footer ads are even less useful on pages with infinity scroll. A lot of visitors will never reach there.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Most topics are not actually infinitely long, though. Some may get long but here and on Boing Boing I would be surprised if the average topic length is even 10 posts.

Also avid users and regulars spend a lot of time looking at the bottom of topics as they read them, whereas new users will come in at the top (unless deep linked to a specific post) so it depends who you are targeting.

There can be other ad positions over time of course but don’t undersell the value of top and bottom either. They are great starting points.

(Bcguy) #5

Another idea on the Advertising specifications issue:

It would be great if every time a person scrolled down the page (and you get that “Loading More Topics” message - that an advertisement was inserted under the “Loading More Topics…” message - so that you get more impressions and views. (perhaps the same advertisement is used as was at the top of the page so that you don’t slow down the ad insertion/page scroll)

Every time you hit the “infinite scroll” waiting message you are sitting there looking at the screen. What a great time to show me an advertisement that is relevant to the discussion forum.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

So you are proposing unlike “loading…” the ads would persist on the page after the loading is complete? That could work, but might be kind of aggressive for some tastes. You would effectively have ads every 5-10 posts in the topic stream.

(Bcguy) #7

Yes - it would be so that the ads persist on the page (these would be horizontal banner ads - placed between the topics on the list view as I scroll down).

On my forums - I seem to get the “Loading more topics…” message about every page and a half or two pages - and the “loading more topics” is quite similar to a banner. I don’t think it would be too aggressive to post a banner ad at that point. It might be for some people - and so it would be ideal to be able to modify the frequency so that the banner ad shows only every other time that a user gets to the “Loading More Topics…” message.

It would be powerful because the user is already looking at that specific part of the page (so it would be a very impactful ad - avoiding the issue of banner ad blindness).

(Bcguy) #8

Question: Does Discourse see these types of advertising options (that I’ve outlined above) something the would put into the main program - or something they would only offer on their hosted solutions?

I’m just wondering if this is only going to be a third party plugin, or if its something that Discourse the company will provide all of us?

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Not opposed to it, need a customer/partner (paying) that wants it for it to become a priority.

Are you? :wink: http://www.discourse.org/buy

(Jeff Atwood) #10

Well, good news, we have at least one enterprise customer that wanted ads, at last. So @neil did some work on the ads plugins recently.

(Neil Lalonde) #11

I’ve added Google DFP ads using a plugin, but I need to generalize it more. I’ll try to release an official plugin for it soon.

(Bcguy) #12

Any word on what advertising /features are planned? Sounds really positive.

(Bcguy) #13

Any update on this? By “soon” are we talking days or weeks or a month or more?

Thanks.

(Ladydanger) #14

Hi @BCHK,

We now have an advertising plugin that will support Google DFP Ad, Adsense, Amazon Associate / Affiliate ads. You can see install on your discourse forum and add advertising.

Here’s the meta post on the advertising plugin.