Age gate on hosted plan

Hello! We need to have an age gate on our forums but could not find a plugin to enable this functionality.

• Do you have a recommended solution for this feature?
  • Can we create/use our own plugin? (We are on a hosted plan.)

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Add a custom user field at signup and make it required. You can do this from Admin, Customize, User Fields.

Hi Jeff. We looked at that but need a way to verify the DOB if we use
month/day/year drop downs. A simple confirmation of age or drop down of age
numbers will not suffice for our needs. Suggestions?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Why doesn’t a simple required field suffice? I am not clear.

(cpradio) #5

Because there isn’t any validation to their answer. I guess you could create a field that says “Are you over X years old?” and the only value that can be selected is “Yes”… but that really doesn’t validate anything.

Granted, they could use the Data Explorer Plugin to grab a list of users who answer No to that question and process those accounts.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #6

I don’t see how you could possibly “validate” age without jumping through tons of hoops, like getting copies of IDs, video chatting, or other extreme measures. If your concern is something like COPPA, you should simply state that users must be over the age of 13 to join, and ask them to verify that with a check box. You shouldn’t be liable if someone lies on the form (gosh, someone lying online :open_mouth:).

Note: I’m not a lawyer - if your concern relates to legal issues like COPPA I would suggest contacting a lawyer.

(Mittineague) #7

I have seen “answer this question that only someone at least this old would know” before. But with essentially anything being discoverable these days you would need a quick timeout and a vast list of possible questions.

I agree with jomaxro, a simple type of “I state that I am this old and take full responsibility for its correctness” type of thing would, depending on Law, be the way to go.

(Sam Saffron) #8

Simplest way to achieve this today would be use SSO, then you have absolute flexibility in the gating of users