All Categories > Latest view doesn't show some new topics

(Rmwtoyon) #1

My forum’s default view displays “All Categories” sorted by “Latest” on top. I believe this is the default view. However I notice that some new topics are not being shown in this view. Specifically, it looks like all of those topics that are not place in a sub-category do not show up.

For example if I have two new topics as follows:

Topic 1:
Title: Memory Overflow
Category: Debugging
Sub-category: None

Topic 2:
Title: Broken Assignment Operator
Category: Debugging
Sub-category: C++

…Topic 2 will show up in the default view, but topic 1 will not.

Any idea what is going on?

(Kane York) #2

Would topic 1 happen to be the category description topic?

(Jeff Atwood) #3

Can you provide a link to your site?

(Rmwtoyon) #4

No it is not. It’s a standard topic.

(Rmwtoyon) #5

Unfortunately no. This forum site is hosted on my company intranet.

(Michael Sheedy) #6

I’m having the same issue. So, the first topic in a category is in fact the category description then? There’s not an obvious way to see that anywhere. What happens if you delete that topic and later want to add a description?

(Jeff Atwood) #7
  1. Go ahead, try: you can’t delete the description topic.

2. The description topic is linked from the edit category dialog and it is the first and only topic in every category. It also explains what it is if you click on it.

(FichteFoll) #8

I just had this issue on a new Discourse instance.

This is a screenshot of latest:

And here of new:

Edit: I noticed that the topic that was not on “Latest” does not have a category set. This might be the problem.

(Sam Saffron) #9

Can you reproduce this issue? Very unlikely to be related to not having a category set (unless you are hiding uncategorized from latest)

(FichteFoll) #10

Yes, I can. The original issue where I noticed this has been assigned a category and now appears on Latest. I then created a new uncategorized topic that does not appear on Latest. I could only find it from the Categories page in the Uncategorized category. The topic then proceeded to show up and hide again when I added and removed a category respectively.

I asked the admin about this and he didn’t seem to find a setting for that.

(FichteFoll) #11

The admin has now “disabled” uncategorized topics in the board settings. I can not “uncategorize” my post anymore. I did not test whether I could create an uncategorized topic though, but I assume I can not.

Thus, the issue is being prevented from occuring at least for this instance.

The problem does not seem to occur on meta however, because this uncategorized topic is visible on Latest.

(Sam Saffron) #12

Disabling uncategorized always leads to pain, a much better approach is simply to rename that category.