All PMs being mailed to site owner?

The owner of our site is suddenly receiving Discobot PMs to our new users, (the greetings message) - not sure why this is or if our new users are receiving those greetings. Our other admins are not receiving these, just the Own

We haven’t changed any settings recently, so not sure the cause of this. I’m not seeing the messages from Discobot’s sent messages either.

1 Like

look for

site contact username

if the owner’s name is in there, remove it

1 Like

Thanks, have checked that setting which said ‘System’.
However, have hit reset button which blanks it to see if that helps.

1 Like

do you have anything set for

site contact group name

1 Like

As an owner, I have also just received an email notification with a PM from one user to another. I’m also an admin. Not sure if I got the email for that reason or because my address is listed as the site’s contact email

I have system as site contact username and blank for site contact group name

1 Like

Yes my ‘site contact group name’ is blank. Our owner is the site contact email too, but this is per original set up and this indicates its for urgent emails only, (so presuming we don’t want to set it to blank).

1 Like

Further tests do seem to indicate that any PM is copying in the owner, not just those from Discobot.

2 Likes

@davemfish welcome to the community and your first post :slight_smile:

@Donna_Askew It should be like that.

I manage 3 discourse sites and don’t get those emails. maybe a plugin ?

1 Like

Hi Gavin, I presume you mean it shouldn’t be like that?

This has only started happening today and we haven’t changed our set of plugins since first set up over a year ago. This is a puzzle.

1 Like

Agreed. This is very new behavior and pretty concerning. We haven’t changed any site settings recently and have very limited plugins.

@Donna_Askew I’m not sure you can, but would it be accurate to change the title to “All PMs are mailed to owner”? That sounds a bit more alarming (as it should) and might get more attention?

1 Like

There was a bug related to this that was fixed ~12h ago, can you please update your instance?

3 Likes

Thanks for the confirmation. Discourse is hosting our instance.

2 Likes

I’ve had a note that the bugfix for this was pushed out and included my instance last night and no PMs been seen by the owner since.

3 Likes