Allow different locale to be set for front-end and back-end, also personally for users and admins/staff

(Anton) #1

This may be strange, but I personally love everything to be on English, while I need the front to be on Russian for our end users.

Actually, some of our staff will also prefer English language for back-end, but not everyone, so probably personal configuration for admins/staff in addition to global one would make sense, too.

Finally, because our country speaks both Russian and Ukrainian, I would like to make it possible for every forum user to be able to select which one fits better. And for this to work well, I’d be extremely happy to be able to select which languages are allowed to switch between for the end users (one setting) and for admins/staff (another setting).

If implemented like described above, I believe it will cover every possible scenario and preference.

Ability to select separate locales for public and admin interfaces
(om_1984) #2

This is really needed.

Basically, a user preference allowing for him to pick from the available languages. Defaulted to whatever Accept-Language header is at the start of his sign-up.

I think the need to allow staffs to select from a different set of languages than users is optional, the main thing is so that every user can pick his own language and see the Discourse UI in that.

(SupraFii) #3

Yes, I would also like to see this feature implemented and fully agree with @om_1984

(Sam Saffron) #4

I understand the request, we have heard it before and are not super enthused about it. There are cultural issues that you would introduce with such a change.

That said an internal redesign that allows for this flexibility could be helpful in other spots, but as its a feature we are not particularly excited about, we are not going to be committing resources to it.

(om_1984) #5

Sam, what do you mean by the “cultural issues”?

The other forums generally offer this functionality:

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/documentation/index.html/_/documentation/administrator-control-panel/look-and-feel/manage-languages-r116

Users can change their language choice by using the drop-down menu in the lower-left corner of any page. You do not have to be logged in to do this.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #6

I think advanced translations support is a very important feature for any community-centric platform. It might not make sense for core, but I think the devs should do everything in their power to facilitate the making of such a plugin by volunteers, including code changes for more flexibility.

BuzzFeed certainly sees value in multilanguage. I hope it’s a growing trend.

p.s. Here’s one of the earlier conversations about this same topic.

(Dan Mazzini) #7

At least allow choosing a different language for the admin interface. This is necessary both when you have a partial translation (see screenshot) and because you’ll only find instructions about the English interface anyway :smile:

(Anton) #8

Sorry to bring this topic up. I’m still interested in this feature. Was there any decision made to implement / not to implement such a setting? If not, maybe just close the topic?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

We don’t really apply a “yay” or “nay” verdict on feature requests. They’re all a big “maybe”, and then we keep track of them over time to see whether it’s something that comes up a lot, if customers are asking for it and so forth.

As Sam said, we’re not gonna be gonna be working on this feature, but the topic might as well remain open for others to chime in over time.

(Sam Saffron) #10

I am unclear here

We now have automatic English fallback for missing strings

You can enable per user locales

What more?

(Anton) #11

I still would gladly switch the admin section to English (for me only), while keeping my profile in Russian, as well as all notifications and action messages coming from my username.

This would be only possible if a profile had 2 settings - main UI language (the one we have already), and admin panel language.

Of course I can get by with how it works now, just saying it would be useful for me. I guess I’m alone needing such a feature :slight_smile:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #12

Continued here:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #13