Allowing discourse embedded in multiple hosts by category

(Ilya Kuchaev) #1

Are there any plans to alow embedding from multiple hosts? Want to have an opportunity to host the comments from 5-6 sites simultaneously.

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes that will work provided each site has its own category in Discourse.

(Ilya Kuchaev) #3

Any ETA for this? :soon:?

(Jeff Atwood) #4

It already works today.

(Tobias Eigen) #5

How is it that this works already? The embedding settings only provide for one site and one category as far as I have seen.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Sorry, I was thinking about multiple WordPress blogs using the WP-Discourse plugin – it depends on the definition of “embedding”. For iframe style embedding I suppose you’re right.

(Rick Cogley) #7

Hi - my compliments on a really great piece of software. Discourse is great, and such a breath of fresh air after using other forum software.

Please add my voice to those who would like to embed in multiple static hosts from the same domain. The embedding works as advertised, but you have to specify a single host not just a domain.

What I have, though, is -

• one.mydomain.tld
  • two.mydomain.tld
  • three.mydomain.tld

I want to point those blogs at the same Discourse installation using the javascript from the @eviltrout blog post on this topic, and either:

1. have all the posts from all the various hosts get added to the same category
  2. have the posts from each host get added to some unique category, so each blog gets a separate category in the Discourse install

How hard would it be to allow Settings / Embedding / Embeddable Host to accept:

• a wildcard entry like *.mydomain.tld, or,
  • a comma-separated list like one.mydomain.tld, two.mydomain.tld, three.mydomain.tld.

I hope you can consider this, or, please point me in the right direction? I am thinking about paying a developer I have hired in the past to patch mine, so it might be a worthy pull request at some point…

(Jeff Atwood) #8

How much work would it be, @eviltrout, to make static embedding work with multiple entries from the same domain?

Also how much work would it be to make static embedding work within categories in the same Discourse instance, e.g. 3 static embeds pointing at the categories “foo”, “bar”, and “baz” on example.discourse.org ?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #9

While we’re at it, what about embedding threads with a specific tag?

(Robin Ward) #10

It would not be too much work to allow embedding from multiple hosts.

It is trickier to set up the category mapping, but if we had a table to handle mappings like that I think we could simplify a lot of other more complicated embed things people have asked for. I’d imagine days, not weeks of work.

(Rick Cogley) #11

Thank you @codinghorror and @eviltrout for considering it. Please advise what I can do to help.

(Serge Vodwood) #12

Thank you for considering this. This is a huge and mighty usefull thing.

Example: right now I’m presenting some reserch results and putting up a small but fancy separate website (like coolresearch.foo.co). I would love to have the opportunity to add comments to this website via embed - this would mean 100x more visitors engaging in a discussion. But I already have a blog with embedded comments. So right now thinking of disabling the blog for a while - the only way to go.

(Tobias Eigen) #13

There is some interest in this feature - would you be able to make it happen?

I have two blogs right now that I’d like to be able to embed in my discourse, one a wordpress blog and one a static iframe style embed. This two-blogs, two-categories setup might work with my current setup and I will test it.

However, there are more potentially on the way and I can see discourse embedding in multiple blogs being desirable for other communities I am involved in too.

(Richard Hulse) #14

Kinda late to the party, but we’d also like to embed topics into separate sites. We’d also consider putting some funding forward for the feature.

(Robert) #15

I am a member of two international associations that have member associations in different countries.

I would like to propose them to use each one discourse instance, because people from different countries could debate on the same topic. Every member association has it’s own blog and I would like to use discourse for commenting there.

So is it supposed to work with the current beta?

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #16

Discourse can now be embedded in multiple hosts:

and there’s a WordPress plugin for it as well: