Alternatives or ETA for static pages

(Justin Gordon) #1

We’re doing great with talksurf.com. Loving discourse!

What would be the best temporary workaround until the proposed static pages feature is available? We simply want a link to a static page, maybe in the header, to show a list of sponsors of the forum.

Static pages plugin
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Why not just create a Discourse topic with the sponsors, and link to that via standard HTML header?

There’s some basic HTML header layout instructions in the “READ ME FIRST: Admin Quick Start Guide” topic.

(Justin Gordon) #3

Thanks. I’m guessing that is what Boing Boing does:

(Sander Datema) #4

You mean that extra header there? Boing Boing uses something like this (CSS section).

(Ian Carroll) #5

If you can mess around with Rails a bit you could add the high_voltage gem which should support adding custom pages (from the command line, not on the web UI). Don’t know if Discourse would interfere with it.

However @codinghorror gave you a much better solution to the problem. Just here for future Googlers.

(Justin Gordon) #6

If we want to create a few static landing pages, maybe with the www subdomain, how would that compare to

And with the above, I probably would make the topic closed, so nobody else could add to the thread.

Any suggestion for adding a couple real static pages on digital ocean? Would I need to install a webserver just to vend 2 static pages?

And yes, I’m they guy behind http://www.railsonmaui.com, so Rails is my specialty. Just not ember.js (yet).

(Ian Carroll) #7

As I said earlier, the high_voltage gem should work fine if you play around with it.

(Justin Gordon) #8

I’m using the docker install, and I’m guessing that I would have to change the git repo source and do my fork in terms of getting updates. Basically, my concern is that it would be a bunch more work to have my own fork of discourse.

(Kane York) #9

Plugins can install gems! Run gem blah inside the plugin.rb just as you would in the Gemfile.

(system) #10

Very old topic but for anyone else looking there is a plugin for this here:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #12