Ampersand & vs. &

This may not be a Discourse problem, please let me know if it’s not.

When we copy/paste information into the posting box, if there’s an ampersand (&), it changes it to & amp; (with no space).

I read in a few other threads (all closed), that this was some sort of safe thing, but what’s happening is that when the sentence is quoted (or copy/pasted to place somewhere else), it comes up as & amp;.

Is there some way to stop having the amp; added?

Again, I’m not a computer person, so I don’t really understand the need for the extra letters.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate all your help.

1 Like

It is a computer thing

For many, if not most computer languages the ampersand indicates “the string following this up to the semi-colon stands for a single character”.

Unfortunately they can be very tricky at times. The more often it passes through code that interprets it the more likely it will be interpreted in a way not intended.

1 Like

Guess I’ll just have to delete those extra characters as needed.

Thank you.

It might be related to where you’re copying from. For example, if you’re copying from a more advanced text editor switching to a plain text editor might help. eg. plain Notepad vs. Word

If you are copying with a browser, maybe switching to a different browser that might deal with clipboard content differently might help.

Of course, assuming you can find something that works for you, this would only help with what you copy - paste and you would still need to educate others and do clean up at times.

Try inserting the copied text by pressing Ctrl + Shift + V
That should insert the text without formatting and without changing & into &

6 Likes