Analytics on Emails?

(Jack Slater) #1

When Discourse sends e-mails like the weekly update or a new reply to the thread you’re watching, etc can we track opens, clicks, etc on that?

(Jeff Atwood) #2

Email delivery services like Mandrill can (optionally) do this as a post-processing step on the emails they are delivering for you.

They can make every link a click tracking link, and add “did the user open the email or not” images and so forth.

So it’s worth looking at email delivery services here first, rather than Discourse itself.

(Sam Saffron) #3

That said, we are already including images in the mails, we could add a tracking gif so the main site “knows” you read a post once you open it in your mail client.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

To me that is a very different feature than what is being asked for here. Mechanically similar, I suppose…

(Sam Saffron) #5

Yeah, it would open the door to this feature, since we will already have a pile of info tracked with it. I am only mildly annoyed that I need to re-read posts when I am notified via email, don’t think it is an ultra high priority.

(Jeff Atwood) #6

Well, you cannot like posts via email so I often need to visit to like the post, and having it marked read would make me forget to do that. So it’s also arguably negative. Can be discussed in different topic.

(Frore) #7

Assuming that other email services don’t adopt what Google has started doing, which short of a reader clicking a link, essentially makes tracking images embedded into messages worthless: Official Gmail Blog: Images Now Showing

It might be better if Discourse can generate unique links on a per-email basis to track users clicking them, assuming you want that functionality on the site, and also perhaps allowing the user to opt out of such tracking in their account preferences.

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Mandrill et al already do unique URL rewriting trackers (optionally) as a part of their core functionality. So if that is the only option, third parties can do it automatically.

(Suanfazu) #9

People may use email services that do not have mail click tracking. We use our own exchange server to send emails, which is much better than Mandrill or mailgun.

Our site sends hundreds of emails every day. But the system cannot tell if anyone clicks the link at all. This is really sad. At least you could just add a tag to the links in the sent mail, e.g. Caffe上手教程 - 教程系列 - 算法组