Analytics problem with Version 1.7?

(Renee Yeh) #1

Continuing the discussion from Discourse Version 1.7:

Hi

The bounce rate of our forum has spiked from 20% to 70%, and that of our landing page from 9% to 81% since Nov 23.

My engineer colleague @Sean_Lin (and @alex_song) suggested that it is because when a visitor comes to our forum, and reads several pages, GA thinks that this visitor stays in the same page, without detecting any url change. His speculation is supported by this graph:

I am hoping someone can verify his idea or tell me what caused the changes (and how I can read the reports accurately.)

Thank you!!!

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #2

Just tested here on Meta, and every pageview is correctly making a request to https://ssl.google-analytics.com/__utm.gif.

Can you share your forum URL or test if this is happening in your instance?

(Renee Yeh) #3

Hi @Falco

Thank you so much for helping!!!
Before I can ask my engineer colleagues to test it, here is our forum URL: Alfred Center | get the most out of the best home security app!

(James Mc Mahon) #4

Cool project!

I’m on v1.7.0.beta10 +29 and have not observed anything odd with our bounce rate in GA.

(Rafael dos Santos Silva) #5

Renee,

Looks like everything is working fine on your forum. I can see the tracking requests going out on every pageview.

Since you are using a subfolder install, are you sure this numbers come from the forum and not from the main domain?

Maybe if you check GA domain ?
It’s ok put “auto” there?

(Renee Yeh) #7

Yes, I can be sure of that.

I still don’t know what went wrong with our bounce…

(Ionuț Staicu) #8

I noticed this issue back in august. Here is how analytics used to look like:

(from 2-3% jumped to ~40-50%)

To be honest, I always thought that that super-low bouncerate was not too realistic (despite of what @codinghorror used to say) and the change it didn’t really bothered too much.

(Renee Yeh) #9

I read that post when I was researching on this. I also don’t wanna see unrealistic analytics but that page is like an entry to our FAQs and stories. I think 80% is too high, and 3 minutes is too long.