Android push notifications stop working

I appear to have lost push notifications to desktop & Android since the last update v2.4.0.beta2 +33

Has anyone else experienced this?

1 Like

I have seen Chrome stopping sending notifications and needing to subscribe again in my user profile.

7 Likes

There’s definitely something wrong. In the last week I lost all my push subscriptions on Meta twice.

2 Likes

I’ve just been trying to get push notifications to work on my instance, and also can’t get them to work. Desktop notifications work fine though. Everything is up to date (v2.4.0.beta2 +308).

There is an error message in the logs though, which might help someone who knows more about this stuff to figure out the problem:

Message (8 copies reported)

Failed to send push notification : host: fcm.googleapis.com, #<Net::HTTPForbidden 403 Forbidden readbody=true>

body:

the key in the authorization header does not correspond to the sender ID used to subscribe this user. Please ensure you are using the correct sender ID and server Key from the Firebase console.

Backtrace

/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/webpush-0.3.8/lib/webpush/request.rb:35:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/webpush-0.3.8/lib/webpush.rb:44:in `payload_send'
/var/www/discourse/app/services/push_notification_pusher.rb:81:in `send_notification'
/var/www/discourse/app/services/push_notification_pusher.rb:27:in `block in push'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.3/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:71:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/activerecord-5.2.3/lib/active_record/relation/delegation.rb:71:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/services/push_notification_pusher.rb:25:in `push'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/regular/send_push_notification.rb:7:in `execute'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:232:in `block (2 levels) in perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/rails_multisite-2.0.7/lib/rails_multisite/connection_management.rb:63:in `with_connection'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:221:in `block in perform'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `each'
/var/www/discourse/app/jobs/base.rb:217:in `perform'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:192:in `execute_job'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:165:in `block (2 levels) in process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:128:in `block in invoke'
/var/www/discourse/lib/sidekiq/pausable.rb:138:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:130:in `block in invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/middleware/chain.rb:133:in `invoke'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:164:in `block in process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:137:in `block (6 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/job_retry.rb:109:in `local'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:136:in `block (5 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq.rb:37:in `block in <module:Sidekiq>'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:132:in `block (4 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:250:in `stats'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:127:in `block (3 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/job_logger.rb:8:in `call'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:126:in `block (2 levels) in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/job_retry.rb:74:in `global'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:125:in `block in dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/logging.rb:48:in `with_context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/logging.rb:42:in `with_job_hash_context'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:124:in `dispatch'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:163:in `process'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:83:in `process_one'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/processor.rb:71:in `run'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/util.rb:16:in `watchdog'
/var/www/discourse/vendor/bundle/ruby/2.6.0/gems/sidekiq-5.2.7/lib/sidekiq/util.rb:25:in `block in safe_thread'
1 Like

Actually, it seems to be working now after I explicitly disabled, then re-enabled push notifications in my account settings. It must have been a transient problem. All good now!

On the other hand, I’d enabled push notifications on this forum, and didn’t get the last one… :thinking:

Has it been working for you lately?

1 Like

Yes, my notifications for Meta have been stable for quite some time now.

4 Likes

I’ve been having the same issue and can’t seem to resolve it. I have a fairly active community, but zero notifications popped up in the last week. have tried disabling and Re-enabling - works on my phone for about a week, then dies again. Never works on my wife’s phone or her previous phone (all Android).

I’m at a loss. Help?