Annoying enterprise-y link issue

(Clay Heaton) #1

In trying to get an internal Discourse instance up and running at work, I’ve noticed that a number of people are using the link button to enter network file share links.

What you end up with is code that looks like this (when clicking the edit button):

Network path:

[\\some_drive\some_path\some_file.xls][1]

[1]: http://%5C%5Csome_drive%5Csome_path%5Csome_file.xls

It renders like this:

\some_drive\some_path\some_file.xls

Yes, the button does say “Insert Hyperlink” and has http:// as an example, but people don’t seem to understand that and don’t understand why the links don’t work. Over the past week, I’ve seen 1/2 dozen people independently repeat this.

While it’s not a bug, I thought that you might want to know. Perhaps a plugin could handle this?

(Sam Saffron) #2

I don’t know, I see this as a borderline bug on our side. In private lan based instances this should work as expected.

Can you let me know what kind of markdown you would expect for an smb share?

(Clay Heaton) #3

To be honest, I don’t really know. If somebody using Windows pastes in a link to a network file, then I would expect that the link would be clickable to other people on the same network who use Windows (assuming they have permissions). Most often, I see those links looking like:

\\some_drive\some_path\some_file.xls

Thought they may be encoded differently.

Likewise, if somebody using OS X pastes in a link, it would be clickable to others using OS X. Those tend to look like

smb://some_volume/some_path/some_file.xls

With link compatibility between operating systems, the network paths are a pain in the butt and I do not see resolution of that issue being something that you all should in any way feel responsible for addressing.

(Gerhard Schlager) #4

You could use file:// as protocol for those links as is mentioned in the answers at

However, by default this works only in Internet Explorer when Discourse has been added to IE’s Intranet Sites. See UNC links - MediaWiki for more information on browser compatibility.