Any difference with installation via ssh or bitnami?

(Tumi) #1

Hello

There is any difference when i will install discourse via bitnami ?
This is the same as docker instalation or no ?

I wanna try it on virtual michine.

(Vinoth Kannan) #2

Follow our official cloud installation guide.

discourse/INSTALL-cloud.md at master · discourse/discourse · GitHub

(Tumi) #3

Ok tnaks for info. I just asking so i will install it on my Clean virtual machine.
My question:

Can i install 2 o 3 websites on one linux distiribution ? Can i install discourse every time like on our quide? (docker + container = forum1, docker + cointaner forum 2 etc?

(Vinoth Kannan) #4

If you search and explore more here then you can get all the related information :+1:

(Felix Freiberger) #5

Just to add to this: You can run multiple Discourse installs next to each other without following the Multisite instructions, but RAM consumption will multiply with the number of sites you host. Multisite is a technique to host different Discourse instances in the same container, with almost no performance or resource penalty compared to hosting a single (larger) instance :slight_smile:

(Tumi) #6

Thank You guys for help ! i love this community.

I know i can read and read and learn but it easier and faster to ask ;-]

1. Is the multisite instalation less secured than normal one website in one container?
  2. assuming - How much more a RAM do i need in my cloud/vps for discourse installs without multisite than a multisite
    For example - 1 forum - optimal is 1Gb Ram, For 2 Forums 2gb, for 3 forums 3gb ram (without multisite = new container ?)
    While im using multiste 1 forum 1gb ram but 2 forums 1,5 gb ram ? 3 forums = 2 gb ram ??

(Felix Freiberger) #7

No, there is likely no security difference.
In theory, there could be security vulnerabilities that are worse in a multisite setup, but this is very unlikely. Don’t worry about it.

That sounds about right. Doubling the amount of standalone containers mostly doubles the RAM requirements. I’d avoid upgrading multiple instances simultaneously unless you also upped the swap space.

With Multisite, there is almost no overhead for additional instances. If all instances are small, 1 GB will suffice for multiple instances without any problems, if performance suffers when the sites grow too much, just add a bit of RAM :slight_smile:

(Tumi) #8

ok so what is mean small instance ? users online (how much ?) or anythink else?

(Felix Freiberger) #9

The best recommendation is to start small and increase resources on demand if performance no longer meets your demands :slight_smile: