Any Numbered and Bulleted list improvements?

(John_Lee) #1

when i write a couple of lines and click on bulleted list it breaks up and i have to individually bullet each line (numbered list too)

so it should be like this after bulleting:

• List A

• List B

• List C
    But when selecting all three lines and clicking on bulleted lists it becomes this:

• List A List B List C

So one has to do it line by line and thats fine but it can become a headache for some newbies.

I hope that helps making the project a little better.

(Nicholas Perry) #5

There is a testing area over at http://try.discourse.org/ that is reset regularly. Its useful for fleshing out bugs and other small issues.

(JP Gordon) #6

I searched for a resolution to this issue and this topic is the only one I found in this category that discusses it, but it doesn’t appear resolved. The listing function really doesn’t work well - per the original post above. Any plans to fix this anytime soon? I ask for your forgiveness in advance if this is discussed somewhere else. I just couldn’t find it.

Thanks!

(Jeff Atwood) #7

I have read the original post four times now and I still don’t understand what he is talking about.

(Kane York) #8

I think he wants an implicit <br> in the middle of his list, which we actually have now:

- Item 1
- Item 2
Text
- Item 3
  • Item 1
  • Item 2
    Text
  • Item 3

As you can see in the screenshot, the <br> wasn’t generated before. The post rebake hid this fact.

(JP Gordon) #9

Really? OK - I think it’s related to my problem. I’m going to try and create a running list (bulleted)
Step 1: I select the bulleted list:

• It provides a -List item which I can overwrite and begin typing my list as I’m doing now

When I hit a carriage return at the end of the first bullet, I expected that I’d get another bullet so I could continue with my list. This is the way most word processors work anyway. In order to continue my list, I have to click the bullet function again.

• to get to the next bullet.

What @John_Lee was referring to is - I believe - the following.

I create my first list item (note, I’ve not yet clicked on the bulleted list function above)
I create my 2nd list item (I’ve still not clicked on the list function)
I create my 3rd item (" ")

Finally I select the previous 3 lines and click the bulleted list function. I expected this:

• I create my first list item (note, I’ve not yet clicked on the bulleted list function above)
  • I create my 2nd list item (I’ve still not clicked on the list function)
  • I create my 3rd item (" ")

But what actually happens is that I get this:

• I create my first list item (note, I’ve not yet clicked on the
    bulleted list function above) I create my 2nd list item (I’ve still
    not clicked on the list function) I create my 3rd item (" ")

Stated more simply: I just want the list function to act consistent with other list functions.

(Jeff Atwood) #10

This is not a WYSIWYG editor, so that might be an unreasonable expectation.

You’re right that when I select:

item 1
item 2
item 3

and click the bulleted list toolbar button (or ctrl+u) you get

• item 1 item 2 item 3

Which is kind of silly, I agree.

We use the PageDown open source library for this, so perhaps someone can step up and contribute an improvement there. (I’d also like to suppress the undo and redo toolbar buttons while we are at it since they are kind of useless anyway.)

(Chris Anderson) #12

This was my expectation too. +1 on adding this functionality. Sorry, I know this is a really old post, but it was the most relevant I could find when looking for whether or not improving list editing experience was something surfaced.