Any way to create a 2nd account with same email?

(Jason Sachs) #1

I’m an admin on my discourse server and I need a way to create a “normal” account for myself in order to check some issues we’re having with permissions. I only have one email account though (and our Microsoft Exchange server doesn’t support the normal_account+modifier@ourdomain.com syntax like gmail does).

Is there a way to do this?

(NOTE: this is a behind-the-firewall server so I can’t use any other email domain aside from the normal one at work. I suppose I could ask for an email alias for this purpose.)

(Mittineague) #2

There are any number of services that provide free email accounts.

The easiest thing to do would be to search for
"free email accounts" and create one for your testing purposes.

(cpradio) #3

Another possibility is to create a new account with a bogus email address, then login as your admin account and impersonate the newly created account (you won’t receive any emails – but you can at least navigate the forum as a normal user).

(Mittineague) #4

I was wondering if that would work long term on a live site.
On my localhost - that doesn’t send emails - I create aka accounts with bogus email addresses and approve the accounts as the Admin.
I can then login in to the aka accounts to test from different member status perspectives.

What I’m wondering though, is because Discourse weeds out bounced email addresses, would those accounts be affected in some way?

(cpradio) #5

Nope. The only thing it does is eventually purge unactivated accounts, so long as you login as your admin account and mark the new user as activated, it should remain indefinitely (has worked on my production sandbox for a long time).

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

you could do this:

./launcher enter app
rake admin:create 

and use and address like me@nowhere.invalid for the email address and answer “no” to “Make admin?”

(Jason Sachs) #7

hmm… I have admin privileges but only access through the browser, not the VM itself.

(Jason Sachs) #8

I figured out a way to do it:

• from browser B, click “Sign Up”, enter a bogus email but all the other info real
  • from browser A, when I am logged as an admin, go to Admin -> Users -> New and activate my account

For some reason I figured it might be possible to create an account from being an admin, but there doesn’t seem to be a way to do it; you have to create an account as a user and then have an admin approve (or verify email)

Now this works for everything except email notifications :confused: for that I guess I’d need an alias email address.

(Jason Sachs) #9

that worked, I don’t need to impersonate it, just activate it.