[ARCHIVE] Topic List Previews

(jjaarrvviiss) #1079

I would prefer to have all cards linking directly to the first post, since the card is a representation of that first post. The only link on the card which should lead to last post is the “X hours ago” link

Sorry I think I misunderstood you … and some functionality here. I’ll take a look.

Whilst I work on some of these other items I wanted to show you some improvements I’ve been working on for the CSS for narrow screens and responsiveness to them:

.grid-item {
    width: 30%;
}

@media screen and (max-width: 800px) {
    .grid-item {
        width: 46%;
    }   
}

This should cause e.g. iPad mini’s to switch to 2 columns in portrait and 3 in landscape, using the space much better and look much much nicer (!) at the same time

This should also improve 16:9 android tablet views, but I’ve not tested.

(David Kingham) #1083

I feel strongly that with this layout there needs to be an option for both. I think the expectation with this layout is that it’s mostly about the first post, so I think most links should go directly to this. But, I would also hate to lose a core functionality of discourse by not being able to go the the most recent reply. Ideally I would like the image and the title to go to the first post, but I would also like for there to be a link ‘Latest Reply’ which would go to that, obviously.

I hear you David, hence the option for the Image (& Title?) and Excerpt to go to those things and the rest of the ‘play area’ to go to the last Post.

An additional setting might sort out the split :slight_smile:

I’ll discuss with Angus when we get chance.

(jjaarrvviiss) #1085

having an option for one, or the other, would be fabulous!

having the card area/background link to first post is what we’d like as well.

(jjaarrvviiss) #1086

Is there a way to display user avatars in the mobile social view? By default I don’t see any indication of who posted the topic?

(jjaarrvviiss) #1087

Would like to report another bug: Private messages are being styled with the social styling for some reason.

Yes, see it. How odd! Will take a look.

(Merlls Rizzini) #1089

How do I add those blocks on my forum?

These are ‘featured’ images. Use these settings:

Hey gang, I submitted a couple of bug fixes that have now been merged (thanks @angus) :

• Excerpts should no longer disappear when a topic is pinned (thanks for reporting @jjaarrvviiss)
  • topic-list-item-separator is now hidden in the default Tiles CSS so you can take this out of your CSS if you added it to hide the indicator (which doesn’t work for tiles view):
  .topic-list-item-separator {
    display: none;
  }

@jjaarrvviiss, @davidkingham I discussed this with @angus and we’d like to maintain the core behaviour - that is it should go to the latest read post. That’s there in our code already with one caveat: if you click on title, excerpt or ‘whitespace’ within tile, it will go to latest post. If however you click on the image it will go to the image in the first post.

This sort of makes sense especially where there are one-boxes - at present to get to a social media share you have to click twice. If we were to make every click go to latest post you would have to click, scroll up (potentially quite far) and then click on the one-box to go to the shared article. We might want offer a richer set of options here though, e.g. click on image goes to target share if first post includes a one-box?

Sorry to have muddied the water with my poll (which didn’t include the core behaviour!).

(jjaarrvviiss) #1093

Thanks for your thoughts. Sure, your one-box suggestion makes sense, and I can see that being useful.

For our use case we need title, excerpt and whitespace to all link to the first post. So I’ve forked the plugin and have customized the templates to fit our need. I’ll merge in upstream changes manually. Got the title working how we want it, but haven’t been able to change the excerpt and whitespace functionality yet.

I’m going to explore the feasibility of adding a more ‘Facebook’ like experience - an option that will cause clicks of images derived from oneboxes in the first post to launch the shared link immediately in a new tab without having to enter the topic.

OK, I’m going to admit it, the CSS was not optimal for Tiles width at launch and one was left with a small gap at the edge and this has always bugged me. Worse, if you increased the individual column widths too far in an attempt to close the gap, masonry would suddenly reduce to one less column and your gap was now huge and very awkward looking! I’d never quite cracked how to fix it.

Now I got to sit down this evening and spend some quality time on this problem :smoking:. It turns out this is a known issue with Masonry, but there is a workaround. The issue is that the current masonry code doesn’t take into account gutter size when calculating percentage widths.

Here’s some improved CSS entries for grid-item that maximises use of space. This just about nails it:

.grid-item {
    box-sizing: border-box;

// default 3 columns
    width: calc((100% - 12px)/3);

// switch to 2 columns on tighter widths
    @media screen and (max-width: 800px) {
          width: calc((100% - 6px)/2);
    }  
}

I’ll update the tiles guide above accordingly (done) and look to ship this approach as default in a future update.

Try this, it’s waaaay better! :sunglasses: :arrow_right: :cool:

(jjaarrvviiss) #1096

Agreed! that is awesome CSS, really helps!!

@merefield Would like to report a bug. The keyboard shortcut of j/k works to select a topic in Tiles mode… but the o or Enter shortcuts do not work to open the selected topic.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1097

Topic continued here:

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #1098