Archived posts should not be able to be flagged

I have experienced on another Discourse forum that my post got flagged after resolving the issue with staff and it being archived; the flag leaded to a forum warning which I could have easily avoided as the post was already archived.
For context, I have accidentally posted in the wrong category; when I noticed it, I replied that I need this to be deleted or moved to the appropriate category. I could not delete it as deleting was locked and I couldn’t move it myself either, as the category in question was restricted to Post Approval. So a moderator then went and archived/unlisted the post, but then I got a notification about a forum warning that was the result of a flag.

So, I am asking that archived post should have flags locked, to avoid stuff like that with posts that have already been resolved by moderators.

1 Like

So essentially what you secretly want is this feature so you can avoid a warning. I’ll spare you the hassle… No its not going to work :slight_smile:

Flags should always be available in my opinion. Just because a staff archives a topic it does not mean they looked at all the posts and might have missed one that is inappropriate for example. It is not possible to review everything.

Maybe you can send that Moderator a message so they can explain the reason behind their actions.

2 Likes

I sent the admin a message in response for that warning. I got back a response, however it didn’t cover the fact that it was already archived.

1 Like

OK be patient and see what they say. :+1:

1 Like

I think this is a fair request - there’s no opportunity to go back and edit the post, and it’s happened so far back in the past (presumably) that there might not be much point?

@Ondrashek06 One problem with this is that we still need to allow custom flags to request un-archiving.

1 Like

What does this mean, then? Is there a problem with adding flag locking for archived posts or can you safely add that?

I think this is more of an issue with the moderators on the specific site than something that needs to be dealt with as a feature request in Discourse?

2 Likes

When I tried discussing this on the site, I got redirected to exactly here, Discourse Meta.

Hence my opinion Jeff.

I responded on the other site, but the reason you were redirected here was because the original site would not bother creating this feature (in a plugin), as this is a very uncommon issue, and creating the feature would not be worth it.

1 Like

Couldn’t a user just PM a mod to request it and give their reason for the request? Providing a reason would carry more weight than clicking on a special flag.