Are digest emails sent to people who have no last seen date?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #1

Continuing my malaise over valid users who aren’t activated… it seems that if a user has no last-seen date, then they don’t get digest emails. Ostensibly because there is not date-seen to compare to.

Is this expected behavior?

Email updates without signing up
(Jeff Atwood) #2

Yes, if we have never seen the user in Discourse, then I would expect them to have no last seen date.

I feel like sometimes you might be better off with a mailing list?

Email updates without signing up
(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #3

Yes, 2/3+ of our members would prefer mailing list only, and I’ve experienced communities that 100% die when there isn’t a mailing list component. But there is a huge communal value to having the archives “alive” as they are in a discourse based forum.

Discourse is the best combination I’ve seen. It’s got some fantastic topic management features, and it’s beautiful too. It’s just there are these holes that get in the way sometimes.

I really just need to find and script a way to enable Send me an email for every new post (unless I mute the topic or category) by default. That would actually quiet 90% of my comments. But I digress.

To the point - I just realized that there are members who have no last-seen date - especially the ones I end up manually activating after re-sending an activation doesn’t help (or in some cases fails).

These people aren’t getting reminded of the community action, and are missing out on content.

(Jeff Atwood) #4

Well, we know that overriding user defaults globally is wanted and that is definitely on our roadmap.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #5

Thanks… i don’t want to override the default, just set it to default to mailing list mode, and then let them turn it off if they, like you, prefer to consume purely through the web interface (or just don’t want the noise, but still want access to the content)

In any case, how can I set their last seen date… assume their identity I suppose? and is that the best/only option?

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #6

Update… we offer support / chat in our forum… and impersonating users screws with our chat systems cookies pretty bad. Can’t do it/not worth it

(Jeff Atwood) #7

Just log into the container via SSH and issue a Ruby command to loop through all users and set the fields as necessary. @riking has posted this code a few times, perhaps it is now worthy of a howto @techapj?

(Michael Downey) #8

We would most likely use this as well as long as we could do it for a subset of users. A howto would be great. :wink:

(Arpit Jalan) #9

Okay, just posted the howto:

(Michael Downey) #10

Is there any Ruby magic to do the above as well?

(Arpit Jalan) #11

Here you go:

./launcher enter app
rails c
User.update_all(mailing_list_mode: true)

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #12

ok… thanks for that @techAPJ !

I can send a warning to our community that this is going to happen, and how to counter-act is if they are in the “I don’t want no sticking email” camp.

How can we set that to be the default for all new users?

(Arpit Jalan) #13

That will require changes in source code.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #14

I’d pay for a plugin that did it…

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #15

I would think it’s just as simple to add as this option was:

Default digest email frequency which allows a site admin to pre-set that option for all new users.

I don’t know how to add that, obviously, or i’d be submitting pull requests, but that seems to be a very simple feature to add on.

For us, for now, It seems that just setting that postgres column to true by default does the job.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #16

Thanks for this… I just gave it a try, and found that it doesn’t enable:

Do not suppress email notifications when I am active on the site

The fact that I think it should is kindof worth it’s own topic (getting emailed about new posts regardless of your activity provides for a more uniform experience).

The real question is, is there a similar command that will have the site email people even if they are active?

(Arpit Jalan) #17

I updated the original howto topic to include common queries, including the one you are looking for. :smile:

See:

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #18

A related question to this comment:

are accounts created via the API given a last-seen date?

(Jeff Atwood) #19

Doubtful since last seen usually has to do with browser activity. Account creation date would be right, though.

(Allen - Watchman Monitoring) #20

Ok, so as it stands, API created users would start getting digests until / unless they visited (that goes back to @Alex_Flom 's interest in receive-only users)

And this script would need to set the last_seen_at value if they wanted people to get digests

discourse_user_importer/user_importer.rake at master · vindia/discourse_user_importer · GitHub

Is that correct?

cc @vindia