Are mp4 files intentionally no longer approved for upload?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #1

In the past I’ve been able to upload mp4 files to demonstrate a UI issue in Discourse. However, now only jpg, png, gif, pdf, and csv are allowed. Was the change intentional? Did Meta get reset to the default?

Edit: converted the video to gif. For reference, doing this with the default settings in the program increased the file size by over 1400%.

(Jay Pfaffman) #2

That’s interesting in light of this topic.

(Robin Ward) #3

That’s interesting – I looked at the history of our allowed_extensions and it seems mp4 was never allowed by default in Discourse. It’s possible we had it enabled here for testing purposes and then removed it?

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

@eviltrout this topic was created solely regarding extensions here on Meta - I was not (intentionally) asking to the default allowed_extensions list to be modified in core.

(Robin Ward) #5

In that case I’m not sure – anyone could have turned it off at any time :slight_smile:

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #6

Makes sense.

Consider this a request to have mp4 added to the list of allowed_extensions here at Meta.

(Jay Pfaffman) #7

If only there were a log that kept up with who changed settings.

(cpradio) #8

(Andrew Waugh) #9

Particularly if it gave them a text field to provide a lame explanation of what they thought the benefit would be.

(David Taylor) #10

Any chance of getting MP4 uploads re-enabled here on meta? It would save using GIFs for UI demos like this, which as we know are horribly inefficient.

(Jeff Atwood) #11

Sure @joffreyjaffeux is a fan of mp4 videos, he can enable it!

(Joffrey Jaffeux) #13

Done