Are searched terms logged?

(Lisa Wess) #1

We are interested in pulling out metrics on search terms - what is being searched for, with what frequency, and by whom? Most importantly: trending search terms.

Is there any current way to do this? Looking through the tables I wasn’t able to locate anywhere that searches themselves were logged.

Is this something that is either currently possible or possible via plugin? Or even a planned feature, perhaps?

Thank you!

(Jeff Atwood) #2

The only way to do this at the moment is to pull the webserver logs. Each search request is a HTTP API call to the server.

(Lisa Wess) #3

Is there any potential that you might start logging search terms in the database? That would be a huge boon for us - to know what people are looking for so that we can proactively build knowledge, see trends, etc.

Thank you!

(Tobias Eigen) #4

I’m also curious about this as I’m sure many discourse maintainers are. A cron job to run a script to grab this info periodically would also be a useful way to achieve this without burdening the database server.

(Tomo Vukasović) #5

You can use analytics software to analyze your logs.

(Sam Saffron) #6

If @shiv supplies a PR and hides it behind a site setting we would be fine with it. Default off for now though.

(Yoginth) #7

Can we delete search logs or it will be automatically deleted?