Are you a developer or do you run a site (or business) aimed at developers?

Hi all :smiley:

I am going to be launching a new Discourse forum soon - a multi-language (polyglot!) forum - one where we cover all languages :innocent:

I am currently doing some research into what to offer, how to set up its sections etc. I’d also like to explore possible relationships with others, particularly those that are aimed at or offer services to developers.

I can’t give away too much at present, but I can say that you can expect a great brand (it’s the most I have ever spent on a domain!) and when I ran the idea by two top tech publishers they said they LOVED the idea! (Both now fully on board!)

I have a couple of questions:

• What would you like to see from a multi-language forum?
  • Do you offer services of any kind to developers, and if so, would you be interested in working with us or getting some exposure on this exciting new platform? (If it helps, I have 15 years experience in managing online communities and have also been a partner in a design and branding agency for 16)

Any other thoughts or ideas would also be appreciated! :blush:

5 Likes

I’d love to be involved! Here’s my form of service (if tutorials and advice count).
Operating systems and browsers are generally my specialty. :nerd_face: image

2 Likes

Nice one Justin!

Could you send me further details or a link to your site via PM please?

1 Like

Okay, I’ll do so right now!

2 Likes

One thing that would keep me coming back would be AMAs with interesting people.

It is a tricky space to be in though how are you going to differentiate yourself from https://dev.to/ . I know the pie is really big, but it is hard to establish yourself in this space.

5 Likes

What if I don’t own a site (at least as of now)?

Hi Sam, I’m so excited you commented :see_no_evil:

One thing that would keep me coming back would be AMAs with interesting people.

Great minds think alike!! One of the publishers we are partnering with is really keen on this idea as they would love to get some of their authors involved and they had been thinking about it for a while.

They had something in mind that we had pencilled in for a little later in the year (and something we were actually going to do on EF last year) - an interview in the first post with the thread then opened up for questions.

We’ll probably call the section ‘In the Spotlight’ and use tags to help categorise the different types (E.g., author-spotlights, language-creator-spotlights, etc)

Thread titles would be something like:

• Spotlight: Dave Thomas (Author & Publisher)
  • Spotlight: Matz (Creator of Ruby)
  • Spotlight: Sam Saffron (Stack Overflow and Discourse Founder)
  • etc :blush:

It is a tricky space to be in though how are you going to differentiate yourself from https://dev.to

Dev.to seem to be aiming itself as a cross between n4g.com and medium.com - which is very different to what we’re planning. When you get to 350,000 members things start to feel a little impersonal and we want the opposite of that, somewhere you can get to know others, to network, make friends and alliances… and you can’t really do that via blog posts or those kinds of opinion pieces - you do it through conversations. Something that as you know, Discourse is perfect for :grin: (can you imagine having a proper discussion on dev.to? It doesn’t really lend itself to the same kind of structured discussions that you can have on a Discourse platform with ease).

I know the pie is really big, but it is hard to establish yourself in this space.

I agree 100%, it’s going to take a lot of hard work to even stand a chance.

3 Likes