Auto-assign new embedded blog topics unique categories?

embedding

(oblio) #1

I’ve embedded Discourse on 3 different blogs, and their comments will be included in Discourse as topics with 1 category: “blogs”.

I’d want to separate them further. From the Admin interface this is not possible, since everything goes into the same category.

What would be the recommended method of changing these categories after the fact?
I could use keywords from the posts or even the title.

A Discourse plugin? Some kind of external tools that chews the database entries directly? Something else?

Thanks!

(Lisa Wess) #2

I have this need to; personally I wish there was a feature in that plugin to choose the Discourse category at the time of creating the blog post. That’d solve a lot of problems for us. :slight_smile:

(Jeff Atwood) #3

If you have embedded on multiple blogs you should be able to specify the exact category each blog post auto created topics go into via the embed settings for the target site – this is something that @eviltrout added a few weeks ago.

In other words,

• blog1 new blog post – creates a new topic in the “blog1” category
  • blog2 new blog post – creates a new topic in the “blog2” category

Etcetera. Can you clarify @eviltrout?

(Robin Ward) #4

Actually I think that was checked off too quickly from our list. We did add support for multiple hosts, and you can specify an import category, however you can’t specify one PER host. That still needs to be done for this release.

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Looks like someone has been slacking off

(Robin Ward) #6

I’ll attack it Monday!

(oblio) #7

Awesome! Awesome! Awesome!

I know that I’m pushing it at this point, but is there some sort of timeline for seamless commenting when embedding Discourse?

Sort of:
A) never gonna happen
B) it will happen but we might be living on Mars by that time
C) it will be a feature for Discourse 2.0 and that’s at least 2-3 years away
D) some other date before 2016?

(Jeff Atwood) #8

Somewhere between B and A

(oblio) #9

:frowning:

Ok, plan B of attack. If some enterprising young hacker would try to tackle this feature would it be accepted in Discourse? Or is it doable/recommended to make it as a plugin?

(Kane York) #10

Would probably be extremely annoying as a plugin, would have to be core changes.

However… Until the design of the composer changes, good luck with that.

Help us test the rewritten Composer
(Thomas Wilson) #11

Does this feature exist yet? I still see one category per host. Thanks!

(Thomas Wilson) #12

Nevermind … One per post was the point of this thread. Looking to auto assign a category based on the ATOM feed

(Thomas Wilson) #13

could I set up the hosts with a subdirectory to assign a specific category?

host.example.org/category1 -> category1
host.example.org/category2 -> category2