Auto-Generated Email Posts StrangersNotAllowed

(Jared Needell) #1

I created a staged user with an email address of an auto-generated email, added to the appropriate security group and confirmed I can post by impersonating the user. Also added the email address to the auto-generated whitelist.

However, when said auto-generated email comes in, the email links to the user account and rejects the email with the error, “Email::Receiver::StrangersNotAllowedError”

If I update the category to allow anyone to post even if they are not tied to a user account, it posts just fine and the post links to the staged user I created.

If I can post as the user logged, why wouldn’t it work via email unless I allow any incoming email?

(Jared Needell) #2

I also sent a test email with the same email address and getting the same error StrangersNotAllowed.

(Simon Cossar) #3

Staged users can only post to categories where the ‘Accept emails from anonymous users with no accounts’ setting is enabled. The Email::Receiver::StrangersNotAllowedError error is raised when a staged user attempts to create a post in a category where this setting is not enabled.

(Jared Needell) #4

I thought staged_users is “A staged user can only post via email in specific topics.”

(Jeff Atwood) #5

Those “specific topics” have to be PMs.

Sounds like you are trying to have a staged user post in a regular topic.