Autocomplete doesn't contain suspended users

(Andrew Waugh) #1

Just ran into this on our site (v1.9.0.beta8 +88)

Hamburger>> users>>typing the beginning of the username shows only one user with those starting characters.

/admin/users/list/active shows both users with the same starting characters.

The user in question (the one who only appears via admin/users) is currently suspended, does hamburger>>users filter out suspended users? (If yes, why?).

(RĂ©gis Hanol) #2

There’s no point in publicly advertising suspended users, is it?

(Andrew Waugh) #3

Might be worth a debate.

Banned users, no. Suspended, perhaps.

Imagine some user gets a brief suspension. If some other user tries to search for the suspended user via the hamburger then they won’t find the banned user… they might think the user had been deleted, rather than just temporarily suspended.

(Joshua Rosenfeld) #4

There’s no such thing as a “banned user” in Discourse. Do you mean blocked?

(Andrew Waugh) #5

Sorry, yes.

There have been a couple of times when I have temporarily suspended users, to give them a chance to cool off. My decision wasn’t always popular, at least not with a minority. I was clear that it was a temporary suspension, but some of the meatbags decided that I had blocked, rather than suspended. There was a bit of a tempest in a teacup.

Not listing suspended users from the hamburger could lead to the same kind of confusion.

(Kane York) #6

Next time, you may consider using a posting block (which is named “blocked”). You’ll have to remember to take it off, though!