Automatic submission of content to a Discourse forum?

(Matt) #1

Could I email/sms/tweet to a Discourse forum?

It would be cool to use Discourse as my single communication platform that would display all communications directed at me.

Are there existing Discourse API features that do this sort of thing?

I know the Twitter API could support it, and I assume something like that could would be doable with email.

(Michael Downey) #2

The “e-mail in to a new topic” thing is supposed to be working via POP3, although mine broke a week ago and I’ve been unable to find a cause yet (or resolve it).

(Kane York) #3

Check out the WordPress Discourse plugin, and try to follow its codepath.

https://github.com/discourse/wp-discourse

(Matt) #4

Thanks.

@riking: Is the overall idea to gradually phase replace an existing Wordpress with Discourse? I’m not totally understanding why you would have both.

(Kane York) #5

Well, they do different things. WordPress is a content management system, and Discourse is a forum.

(Craig Oda) #6

How do I email in to a new topic? Is this documented somewhere I can read about it?

(Michael Downey) #7

Just do a search here on “email” … there are a few topics about it. Replacing Mailing lists: Email-In is one.

Call me old-school, but I hope Discourse eventually gets a place for some “traditional” canonical documentation, as the lack of structure here makes it pretty hard to discover features/capabilities of the app. I realize it’s still early so this is probably not the right time for it. The forum is great for discussion, but there’s a time and place for hierarchy IMHO. :slight_smile:

(Matt) #8

Is running Wordpress and Discourse (PHP + Ruby) on the same server more resource intensive than running a comparable pure Rails implementation on the same server? For both I’m assuming two instances of nginx/apache.

I’m pretty new to hosting and am trying to figure out a good balance between simplicity, cost, and server resource requirement.

(Jeff Atwood) #9

Kind of a deeply specialized feature you are complaining about there.

Most of the time we do NOT want people mailing in new topics, and that is off by default for very good reason.

If you want to reply via email, do the obvious thing: reply to the email. 100% natural.

(Craig Oda) #10

Thanks. This is quite interesting to me as I’ve been thinking of selling
Discourse to clients as a mailing list that is an alternative to
GoogleGroups. There’s resistance to building a new forum because
marketers are worried about the ongoing labor costs of managing the forum.
The mailing list sounds easier to pass through purchasing. Remember that
my clients are used to paying big bucks for forums as part of Lithium or
Jive or they are getting by with some type of support QA from Oracle, all
big and scary enterprise software costs.

(Michael Downey) #11

Which feature is that? I didn’t intend to come of as complaining about anything.

I’m somewhat curious about the rationale behind that design position. I have my own thoughts (and I don’t disagree with this) but is there a “very good reason” beyond the obvious, that you want people to see the discussions that are ongoing before starting a new thread?

(Craig Oda) #12

One thing that might be nice is the ability to see the entire discussion thread before replying to an existing discussion by email. In this thread, I was notified that someone had replied to me, but by the time I replied, the discussion had moved forward with other people weighing in.

(Kevin P. Fleming) #13

That problem has always existed with mailing lists, and is unlikely to be solvable.

(Jeff Atwood) #14

I moved 3 posts to a new topic: Email notification of all replies?