Babble - A Chat Plugin [ARCHIVE]

(Tomek) #571

BTW I see there should be a polish translation of Babble but my plugin shows everything in english. Do I have to do something extra to get polish translation?

(Albert Westra) #572

I just got it to work on my site and I have to say it’s awesome. I did notice one bug.

When I send a message via the shoutbox, I would always get an invalid date. It seems to resolve itself when I refresh the page. See screenshot below.

I do have a couple of feature requests. would it be possible to add an expand icon so that if a user clicks on it it will load the full chat page?

Also it would be nice to have a notification at the top of the category page that indicates that babble has been enable for this page. I would go away after a couple of visits, but at least it will let the user know that it’s activated.

Beside that, this is an awesome plug-in. Keep up the great work!

(Matt Landseadel) #573

I’ve run into this interesting quirk. I’ve only tested this out on my Samsung Galaxy 7 so far, but when I’m using the mobile Discourse app, the chat text box doesn’t seem to be placed right…depending on how I got to the chat.
I created a top nav entry for the Chat channel that links directly to “/chat/live-chat/1147”. If I use that link, the chat channel (though limited on space) allows me to see the text box and type in posts. If I click on the blowhorn icon to access the chat, it shows the channel title of “Monthly Live Chat” and seems to push the chat space down so that the text box is hidden behind the keyboard.

(DiscourseMetrics.com) #574

I feel bad for asking, but since my members are complaining a bit I’m wondering if there is an ETA on fixes for mobile issues? :slight_smile:

(James Kiesel) #575

(Chris Saenz) #576

The update looks great, I’ve re-enabled it on our site.

First thing I noticed is that long usernames will overflow easily, which results in overlapping text. Also the month/year is displayed, which is superfluous in a chat setting… nobody cares. This also adds to the length problem.

EDIT: I realized that’s the same function that provides “1 sec” and “5 min” at closer range. Those are important, but only in the current 24hr window… older than that, there’s already a date line.

Fortunately these are CSS tweakable. Anyone who cares, add this to your custom CSS:

EDIT 2: Deleted the scrollbar, for a cleaner look… (Webkit only).

/*Babble tweaks*/
.babble-post-date {
    padding-right:0px !important;
    max-width:27px;
}

.babble-post-meta-data {
    overflow:hidden;
}

span.first.full-name.new-user {
    max-width: 115px;
    overflow:hidden;
}

::-webkit-scrollbar {
    width: 0;
    background: transparent;

(Tomek) #577

I think babble breaks Discourse for IE (not Edge) users. You cannot enter any groups, I have this on IE 11.576.14393.0. Can anyone confirm?

I cannot use http://discourse-babble.com of my https://forum.dobreprogramy.pl from IE.

(Eli the Bearded) #578

That sounds like the problem in this topic:

Which looks like a confirmation to me.

(Markus) #579

How can I / we fix this?

(Tomek) #580

Yes, this problem is connected with Babble and this solutions works for me:

(James Kiesel) #581

If you’re able to submit a PR to fix the issue, I’d be happy to merge it.

(James Kiesel) #582

Babble now correctly respects being disabled via the admin panel, and works a bit better on iOS (more improvements here soon).

(NB that this required a PR to discourse core, so you’ll need to be on latest :smiley: )

(Markus) #583

Just another question about permissions:
I’ve created a Discourse group with only one person inside that. And I’ve created a chat room with the permission of only this group. As admin and not group member, I’ve posted something to the chat room.

Today, I’ve received a digest mail dedicated to another test user account - who is not member of the group - and shouldn’t be able to read the chat transcript.

The test user account (trust level 1) isn’t member of any group and hasn’t special privileges. I need some help to stop this.

Why is the system user shown as autor in the digest mail insted of the real user (me) who wrote the post? If I’m following the link “Read more” it’s correctly shown.

(James Kiesel) #584

Whoa, is that the digest? I’m fairly certain I prevented chats from appearing in the digest, but perhaps there was a change in behaviour in core there.

(Markus) #585

It seems so.

Some kind of crypto whould be a real pleasure for private chat rooms :joy:

(Tomek) #586

I’m afraid this solution does not work, it only helps with certain usage scenarios.

So far installing Babble make Discourse unusable on IE11 ;( This needs a fix…

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #587

3 posts were split to a new topic: How do you learn how to build these plugins

@ mentions seem to be broken in chat. They keep popping up in notifications but don’t lead anywhere. I would like them to either open the chat, or not appear at all.

(James Kiesel) #589

Are you using the full page chat feature? I reckon I may have to turn off mentions if only the shoutbox is enabled, since there won’t be a valid URL for them to link to.

(James Kiesel) #590

I’ve just pushed updates to the beta branch which remove chat topics from the digest, fixes safari errors on other users typing, and fixes the test suite. I’ve also fixed the issues with deleting a chat topic and being unable to create another one in the same category.

@ky_metro, would you be able to submit a PR for those css changes?